Import Duty/Tax.

desertman01
desertman01 Posts: 89
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Last month I posted a similar question to this but I am still not sure what to do. Last September I bought a bike from the States and had it shipped to the Middle East. I now want to sell the frame and a friend can bring it back to the UK next month.
I have the invoice showing I paid duty on it in the Middle East - would I have to pay further duty to get it into UK ?
Thanks for any advise - Mick.

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I would have thought so, knowing customs duty in this country. They seem to get you, whatever you try and bring in.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,179
    Yes
    left the forum March 2023
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Depends how old it is - I think if it's over 6 months old it's fine, at least that's my recollection on shipping my bikes back from Oz. You may be able to claim back the duty from the Middle Eastern country too if you're taking it back out, although I'm shaking with laughter as I type this...!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    They are charging for all goods over a set value, so even if it is second hand they can still charge.
    Living MY dream.