SRAM X5 Rear Derailleur Bent - Repairable?

brunlea
brunlea Posts: 33
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have a 2010 White Carrera Fury with an SRAM X5 rear derailleur. My brother was using my bike any was cycling down a steep decline (toward Hurstwood Forest, coming from Cant Clough Reseviour for anyone that knows the area). Once he got to the bottom of the hill the rear derialleur did not look quite right. A little bit of metal had chipped off it and the cage was not straight. It was bent quite a bit. I straightened it by giving it a good push and it seemed to ride ok after that, but as soon as the gears were changed it locked up again.

It looks like the whole derailleur mechanism has bent, which means that when trying to get into the lower gears, the lower pulley hits the spokes on the wheel. However i have aligned the pulley/cage up and it looks straight, but the actual derailleur seems like it is bent and needs pushing away from the bike to straighten it.

Basically, what i need to know is if the derailleur is repairable. The cage pushes itself all the way up instead of lying low like it normally was. I will get some pics up soon to give you guys a better idea of what i am talking about.

I would like to know if it is repairable or would it be better to get a replacement. I hope it can be repaired as i have hardly rode the bike myself and the rest of it is in tip top condition.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    without pictures it is hard to say.

are you sure it is the mech and not just the replacable hanger?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unlikely if the mech is bent - only needs to be a mm or two out to screw up shifting. If you can't index it's time for a new one.
    Unless it is the hanger. Sounds more gruesome though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brunlea
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_755415_langId_-1_categoryId_165694

The halfords website above shows how my derailleur currently looks, with the cage/arm thing pushed up.
    I pretty sure it's not the hanger as i took the hanger off and it looks perfectly straight. It does not look like it has been bent. I will try and get some pics up this evening to give you a better idea. Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes we know what an X5 mech looks like but we dont know what yours looks like.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • brunlea
    Pics uploading.....
  • brunlea
    more pics
  • brunlea
    more.....
  • brunlea
    and the last few.....
  • brunlea
    So i've uploaded a few pics as above. Anyone any ideas on if it looks ok or not?

I will take it to the bike shop (halfords!) for then to check it out later in the week to see what they may be able to do with it (or not).
  • cooldad
    3rd pic down - mech looks fubared to me - quite an angle.
    The hanger also seems to be proud of the frame at the back so presumably twisted as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    The mech is all the way up as either the stop has broken off, or it's on the wrong side of it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is also a gap between the hanger and the frame at the rear you can see quite clearly, so new hanger as well I think...mech is fubarred.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brunlea
    The gap between the hanger and the frame is because the frame seems to have been hit which has pushed a bit of metal where the hanger should sit flush with. I can probably file it away or something.

Looks like I will be taking it to a bike shop to get repaired......so sad.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Get your brother to pay for it though.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clean it up so the mech hanger sits square firts, it may bring the mech back in line (though I doubt it)....

"You break it, you fix it"....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • your hanger is twisted. take care getting the mech off as the threds on the bolt that goes into the hanger are made of ali and strip VERY easily. The replacement bolt is about £15 - £20 so best take it easy. Halfords sell the hangers which you almost certainly need. There isnt nearly enough tension on the cable either. even at the lowest gear there should be a little bit of tension.