Going offroad with road tyres ?

bobo696
bobo696 Posts: 57
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi there !

I am planning on going in the new forest this weekend. Last time I went I think me and my girlfriend hired bikes there but since then we bought bikes. I know that my racing bike is out of the question LOL
However, I have a hybrid equipped with road tyres : specialized all condition armadillos tyres size 28
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/all-condition-armadillo-tyre-ec001821

20130610125623.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My question is will these be able to handle the offroad conditions, or should I change them ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They are fine in a straight line. Just slow a lot for corners. Hopefully not much mud this time of year so traction shouldn't be an issue.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use an MTB with slicks with a school MTB club - mix of on and off road. I'm old and tubby and easily stay ahead of the kids. They will be fine. Bit sketchy in mud but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bobo696
    bobo696 Posts: 57
    ok thanks, I'll try this weekend !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    some what suicidal I tried it before I fitted off road tyres.

I didn't slow down for any corners thou.

nearly ended up falling about 4 ft into a lake thou.

I would not recommend it personally

but have fun make sure you where a helmet atleast.
  • My friend spent all this winter running slicks as he was too lazy to change his tyres.
    He has trouble through the thick mud, but it was doable.
    This time of year, and with the sun drying out the trails over the last week, it should be relatively easy.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Keep the air pressure to the minimum indicated on the tyre and you should be fine. Offroad tyres are better of course. If you start sliding a bit, let the bike find its path, do not overreact. You might have trouble getting up steep slopes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a pootle around the New Forest, not bombing down Fort Bill. No problem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools