Specialized Rockhopper - Worth Upgrading

nheather
nheather Posts: 10
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have a Specialized Rockhopper, it's a few years old but in very good condition because I am a casual rider and don't put many miles on it. My riding is really off-road tracks rather than serious terrain.

The Cycle2work scheme has come round again and I don't feel the need to buy a bike but I notice that this year you can use the scheme to buy accessories on their own. So I'm thinking of using it to upgrade my Rockhopper a little

Things I'm thinking off are

- Shimano 540 SPD pedals
- Shimano XC50 SPD shoes
- Avid Elixir 3 Front and Rear
- Mudguards

Whilst I would get a good saving, is it really worth it.

Currently, my Rockhopper has V-Brakes (which I've never had any cause to fault) and DMR V8 pedals (and I do appreciate the jump off jump on freedom).

What do you think?

Anything better or else I could do?

Cheers,

Nigel

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You can't unless things have changed recently. It causes issues as you own some, the company owns other bits
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming you can....
    Do your frame and forks have disc brake mounts?
    Do your wheels have disc brake mounts?

If not then it's not worth upgrading.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nheather
    There is an announcement for the scheme that starting from this year you can use it to buy 'accessories' only provided that the minimum purchase is £100.

Yes my bike has mounts on the frame and wheels.

So yes, they definitely can be fitted - the question is that given my casual gentle use and the capability of the bike in general is it worthwhile.

As a guide the front and rear elixir 3 will cost around £150 in total. Under the sceme I would pay the equivalent of £99.

So a nice saving but it could still be £99 that is not worth spending.

Same with the shoes and SPD pedals. I will make a good saving but is it an unnecessary overkill for casual summer sunday rides.

Cheers,

Nigel
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't think they are accessories. They are parts that are screwed to the bike. Accessories to me are panniers, helmet, cycling jackets ect.

But the definition may have changed.
  • nheather
    I don't think they are accessories. They are parts that are screwed to the bike. Accessories to me are panniers, helmet, cycling jackets etc.

The HMRC and scheme calls them 'safety accessories.

But the definition may have changed.

I would agree with you but the HMRC definition is very vague. It uses terms like 'the legislation does not define what constitutes a safety accessory' but it can include .... (and gives a list of things), but then caveats this by saying that the list is not exhaustive.

I have tried asking Halfords Scheme Helpdesk (who manage the scheme for my employer) and they are quite relaxed. As an example, their Boardman bikes don't come with pedals so when asked I was told that pedals and shoes could be included as accessories. They also said that if you can order it on the website then it is fine - now I don't know whether some schemes have special websites with a limited allowable range, but on my scheme if I follow the link it just takes me to a copy of the normal website.

But I agree that it is very vague.

Cheers,

Nigel
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    From what you say in the op, do you need better brakes? If you're only doing light riding do you need disc brakes? Do you feel your current brakes are not sufficient?
    The other stuff? why not if you want it.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story