Shimano Freehub

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2013 in The workshop
HELP.

On my commute in this morning, my bike nearly killed me, I was free wheeling down a decent when it appeared that my freehub siezed. It was fine upto this point.

Basically it appears that the rear wheel will no longer free wheel and it is as though it is now fixed in place i.e when I do freewheel the cassette keeps moving as though riding a fixed gear and if i do not keep the chain tight it gets all mangaled and wants to keep turning as the freehub is still moving with the wheel. Anyone had any similar issues? Is this fixable?

I'm hoping that its a case of servicing or replaceing the freehub. but this is something that I have never done.

any other ideas?

Luckily i have another rear wheel at home that i can use, but i still need to get home first.

Its a shimano XT rear centre lock Disc hub if that makes any difference!!

Help
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new freehub.

old is removed with a 10mm allen key after stripping ot the axle and bearings etc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rubertoe
    How easy is it to do?

LBS? or should i just be able to do it myself? I have a wheel that i dont use, should i just be able to swap the free-hubs over?

are 10 speed shimano freehubs, 10 speed shimano freehubs?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are 10spd only hubs but they are quite noticable due to the higher splines. most are 8/9/10 speed.

maybe, most are if shimano brand hubs are interchangable but some of the newer ones are not.

If you dont have a work bench and vice removing the old hub can be a pain as it is tight.
    some reading.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ub-service
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rubertoe
    Cool,

I'll give it a go. Its bloody annoying though as the hub is only about 2k kilometers old!