Wheels

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a new set of wheels. Could pay around the 6 or 700 quid mark but I'm not sure what to get. I know Fulcrum Racing Zero and Dura Ace wheels are supposed to be good but is there anything else out there at that price that I should be looking at?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    I'm looking for a new set of wheels. Could pay around the 6 or 700 quid mark but I'm not sure what to get. I know Fulcrum Racing Zero and Dura Ace wheels are supposed to be good but is there anything else out there at that price that I should be looking at?

Just the other day Martin came with his DA 1380 wheels... luckily we managed to straighten a dented rim, otherwise it would have been a write off, as there is no practical way to reuse those lovely hubs once the rim has gone. It was just a pothole, one of the many on our roads.
    Paul came here the week before, rear rim had passed the wear indicator... new rim is too expensive... we will try to do something with that lovely hub, but the availability of straight pull spokes for the general market is what it is. They come in big expensive boxes that nobody wants to buy, as nobody builds many wheels with straight pull spokes... you can beg for a few, you might be lucky... not easy.

What I am trying to say is that you are paying good money for extraordinary hubs, the rest is nothing special... unfortunately those hubs might have to be binned with the rest of the wheel, unless you are very inventive, which is a real shame. The same applies to Fulcrum, of course
    left the forum March 2023
  • Headhuunter

Just the other day Martin came with his DA 1380 wheels... luckily we managed to straighten a dented rim, otherwise it would have been a write off, as there is no practical way to reuse those lovely hubs once the rim has gone. It was just a pothole, one of the many on our roads.
    Paul came here the week before, rear rim had passed the wear indicator... new rim is too expensive... we will try to do something with that lovely hub, but the availability of straight pull spokes for the general market is what it is. They come in big expensive boxes that nobody wants to buy, as nobody builds many wheels with straight pull spokes... you can beg for a few, you might be lucky... not easy.

What I am trying to say is that you are paying good money for extraordinary hubs, the rest is nothing special... unfortunately those hubs might have to be binned with the rest of the wheel, unless you are very inventive, which is a real shame. The same applies to Fulcrum, of course
    Hmmm... I've had RS80 wheels for a couple of years now with no probs apart from a couple of broken spokes which have been replaced fairly easily, although apparently the cones are very pitted and there doesn't seem to be any chance of getting replacements...

Actually I was going to try to contact you to find out what you do in terms of hand built at that price... Have you got a website or an email address or something?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    My blog is always a good starting point

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mavics
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Headhuunter
    Mavics
    Which ones and why?