Assault

13»

Comments

• garethjohn
    garethjohn Posts: 165
    Apparently he stopped the cqr about 50 yds ahead to have a word. I merely fell off my bike and couldn't have been trapped due to the safety release of the pedals. I then took out my frustrations on him by kicking him and in self defence he punched out but only hit my helmet. I think I could have made a better defence to be honest! Cue the witnesses, game over.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    So what was he charged with in the end and was he found guilty on all charges?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • garethjohn
    There were a few charges including assault and leaving the scene. Failure to provide a sample may have been in there as well. I haven't been paying too much attention to be honest and I'm not particularly bothered about the sentencing, can't believe its dragged on as long as it has. Surely he's made this a bit worse for himself as it's gone to crown court after magistrates.
  • Stewpot407
    Stewpot407 Posts: 97
    sadly for me it just cements the need for some sort of helmet cam :(
    An aging Trek 5500 OCLV
    Not so aging Pina Dogma (AK61)
  • garethjohn wrote:
    There were a few charges including assault and leaving the scene. Failure to provide a sample may have been in there as well. I haven't been paying too much attention to be honest and I'm not particularly bothered about the sentencing, can't believe its dragged on as long as it has. Surely he's made this a bit worse for himself as it's gone to crown court after magistrates.

Well done for following it through as it must have been a pretty stressful time.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    I witnessed an incident not so long back with two car owners who were having a dispute about something. This one guy was playing merry hell with the other threatening him and banging on his car window to get out for some informal bonding. The guy in the second car just sat there saying "you do not want me get out of this car" over and over but the other dude wouldn't take no for an answer.

Eventually this guy opens his car door and gets out, the look on the first bloke's face was something to behold as this man mountain with fists like shovells emerged from his car. It soon quietened down the other bloke who scurried back to his car and drove off.
  • garethjohn
    Stewpot407 wrote:
    sadly for me it just cements the need for some sort of helmet cam :(

I'd have to agree. Without the two witnesses who were fortunately in the right place at the right time I'd have been screwed,so hats off to them for following through. I think a cheapo cam may be the way to go even if just for commuting, especially if like me you ride alone.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    garethjohn wrote:

From your initial description of the assault, there is no wounding offence that would be indictable only and would therefore need to be tried at CC. Sounds like the Magistrates may have referred it to Crown due to the either way offences and the whole thing meriting more than 6 months in pokey.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.