Bike service

Sitter
Sitter Posts: 40
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, not sure where it is best off going.

Just wondering if anybody could recommend a good place to get my bike serviced in the Lancaster/Kendal area? Before people suggest doing it myself, yes I probably could but 1/ I've never serviced a bike myself before and 2/ I'm working 6 days a week at the moment so want to make the most of my day off and dropping it off at a bike shop before work one day would give me more time to enjoy the bike, especially with the weather we're having at the moment.

Also looking at trying to squeeze in a skills course sometime, so any recommendations on that front would also be great fully accepted, doesn't have to be that local, I can tie it in with a weekend/couple of days away camping. Thank you!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bikes don't need servicing, they need regular, routine maintenance as and when.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Wheelbase in Staveley
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    cooldad wrote:
    Bikes don't need servicing, they need regular, routine maintenance as and when.

Tried editing the original post (scuppered by a dead battery and connection failure) to add that I've not had the bike that long and covered about 170km on it so far. I have given the bike a checking over after rides but feel that it would benefit from somebody that knows more about what they are doing having a look over it (especially as you see a lot of places offering free first services and websites advocating getting a bike serviced after it has had a 'bedding in' period). There are things that need adjusting (gear alignment for one, the chain has started to pop off every so often and wedge itself between the frame and chain set) and no doubt there are things I've missed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gear indexing is far from hard, as CD says they are things you can end up tweaking nearly every ride to make sure they stay spot on (leaving stuff just ends up costing more one way or another....), so learn to do it, see the 'read this first' in CD's sig.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.