New bike dilemna !!!

clive1964
clive1964 Posts: 6
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a bike through a cycle to work scheme. The bike will be used mainly for commuting to work, and the local trip to the shops. I'm considering the maximum amount, spending £1000. I have looked around local shops, and have been advised on the following bikes, a Trek Domane 2.0, Bianchi Via Nirone Alu Tiagra, and Cannondale Synapse 5 105.
I went into another dealers today, he threw a complete curve ball at me, he offered me a Kovert FX-Race, 2012 model for £999. This is a full carbon frame and forks, Mavic rims, Ultegra throughout ?? except for the brakes, he has it marked up for £1799.

My main concern is the frame quality at this price point? Any feedback from any owners of the Kovert, or general advice would be appreciated, thanks. :? :? :?

Comments

• Artindoril
    Artindoril Posts: 27
    I'd say take it for a test ride and see what you think. I'm going for a domane 2.0 but that was after testing the 4k version (lbs didn't have a 2.0 in my size). Personally I'd avoid a carbon frame unless I could afford to get it inspected after every crash if they happen. But that's cos to me aluminium is more reliable.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Artindoril wrote:
    I'd say take it for a test ride and see what you think. I'm going for a domane 2.0 but that was after testing the 4k version (lbs didn't have a 2.0 in my size). Personally I'd avoid a carbon frame unless I could afford to get it inspected after every crash if they happen. But that's cos to me aluminium is more reliable.

Don't crash it then! Cak advice
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    What a load of boxxocks!
  • clive1964
    Hi,

I don't intend to crash the bike, just wondering if anyone had any information about the said machine, or carbon frames in general. From what the dealers I have visited tell me, most frames are made by a handful of manufacturers, is this the case?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    clive1964 wrote:
    Hi,

I don't intend to crash the bike, just wondering if anyone had any information about the said machine, or carbon frames in general. From what the dealers I have visited tell me, most frames are made by a handful of manufacturers, is this the case?

Not many people will be able to offer comment on the Kovert simply because they are not a mainstram brand. Certainly at the price, full Ultegra spec and Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheels are difficult to beat. Why don't you take it for a test ride and then test ride a mainstream brand and see if YOU can tell any major difference between the bikes - if not then buy it.

On the other note, too many people offer scaremongering stories about the fragility of carbon frames - besides if you are buying new, presumably you will have some manufacturer's warranty on the frame itself. There's no reason why carbon frames should not last if treated correctly - like any bike to be honest. You often hear about a titanium bike being a 'bike for life' but there are plenty of cases where they have suffered frame failure too (just as with aluminium bikes)

£999 is a good price for the spec.

http://www.cyclingbargains.com/product_ ... ike-p-1839
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    The top model Kovert FX Pro got a good write up from RoadCC: http://road.cc/content/review/54660-kovert-fx-pro
    Quality of the frame and the in-house components were well rated. Try it and if you like the way it rides then it would be worth a punt IMHO....
  • clive1964
    Hi All,

Damn shame about the FX Racer, it was a 54cm frame, too small!! Rode it, but had a stiff neck after riding for a few miles..... :(:( It was a great ride though, so smoooooooth.....
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    if you'd like a Carbon frame bike with a decent groupset for under £1000 then you could do worse than to take a look at the Dolan Mythos with SRAM Rival. I have one, but built up with Campag and its a really good machine.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/C ... uct_id=456