What size saddle bag

thefartingcockeral
thefartingcockeral Posts: 394
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, just started road cycling again, and I wondered what size saddle bag I will need. I will be carrying:
2 x tubes
patch kit
3 tyre levers
Lezyne multi tool
Co2 valve and 2 cartridges.
Phone
Cash/card

As I live in the middle of nowhere trying to get to see the bags in person is nigh on impossible.
Any experiences of sized would be good. Was looking at Topeak or Lezyne ones.
Thanks

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i have topeak aero wedge and it holds all that for me as well as chain tool and spare link and small bottle of oil. looks quite smart too
  • Hi Mikey.
    What size is it?
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    If it looks right just get one, its not the biggest deal on earth is it, not a life changer.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I use this and I carry exactly what you have described above.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    One of these little chaps for me, inexpensive, well made, tidy and small, enough for a multitool, spare inner tube, tyre levers, emergency soda syphon canister, folding toothbrush and saxophone. OK, not the saxophone.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/basic-04l-id_8036818.html
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    None. I have pretty much the same kit, except only one tube, a pump and one tyre lever. All goes in my jersey pockets.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personally I would get the bag you like rather than thinking about fitting loads in.
    I have a small Fizik bag because I do not want a large bag hanging off my saddle (they look silly IMO).

I put most stuff in that and one tube, the levers (3?) and Co2 pump (with one of the cartridges in it) in my jersey.
    I could get normal levers in the bag but like the ones I carry. I could also get a screw on Co2 adapter in but I use the big type that the canister goes inside.
    The fizik bag is tiny so any other bag should take everything (especially if you use the small Co2 adapter rather than holder) you have apart from one of the tubes, so is it worth getting a huge one just to hold 2 tubes?

You have to pack saddle bags properly too, give it a bit of thought.
    If you buy the bag to fit everything in it will probably be too big and have spare room :shock:
  • Mikey23
    @thefartingcockerel... Don't be personal!

Erm don't really know, I think it was the biggest, got it from my LBS so could see at a glance that it would take all my bits...
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    I carry more or less what you described plus a bit more. I use the middle size topeak one.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dai_t75 wrote:
    I carry more or less what you described plus a bit more. I use the middle size topeak one.

As above but I carry it all in a rear jersey pocket(size XL). Saddle bags, yuck.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I don't carry a repair kit as trying to glue patches on the road side seems to be A PITA to me. I do carry 2 tides, 2 CO2, multi-tool, zip ties, quick link, ID and £10 in this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-speed-saddle-bag-medium/
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    I use a Topeak Aero Wedge Medium and get everything on your list (minus patch kit, phone and cards, but with the addition of a mini-pump) in. Phone, card and keys all go in the zip pocket on my jersey.
  • Mikey23
    Managed to cram my mini pump in too. Didn't think I could and it is better than being in my back pocket ...
  • Hi there,

Just to mention something a little different. I actually ride with a tool tube which slots nicely into my bottle cage.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a10267 ... tAodJ0gA2w

I don't do huge distances so have one cage for water and the other for my tool tube, this works well as for me as it sits nicely in the cage and therefore doesn't mark the frame/seatpost like a saddle bag would.

The only thing that won't fit in, is an emergency pump - I fix that to the side of my bike. Having said that, I don't think many emergency pumps would fit in a saddle bag anyway.

Just giving you another (possibly cheaper) alternative.

I carry tyre levers, inner tube, multi tool & puncture repair kit in my tool tube. All fits in nicely.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    edited June 2013
    Mikey23 wrote:
    i have topeak aero wedge and it holds all that for me as well as chain tool and spare link and small bottle of oil. looks quite smart too

Same...I use the medim size and can fit my pump in it too:
    - Pump
    - spare tube
    - multi tool
    - patch kit incl spare link
    - money
    - tyre levers
    - credit card and id/BC card
    - oh, and a co2 canister & regulator

The only things that won't fit in it are my cleat covers and phone, they go in my centre back poket of my jersey.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Hi all, just started road cycling again, and I wondered what size saddle bag I will need. I will be carrying:
    2 x tubes
    patch kit
    3 tyre levers
    Lezyne multi tool
    Co2 valve and 2 cartridges.
    Phone
    Cash/card

As I live in the middle of nowhere trying to get to see the bags in person is nigh on impossible.
    Any experiences of sized would be good. Was looking at Topeak or Lezyne ones.
    Thanks

Why 2 tubes? 1 tube and a patch kit would suffice unless you're planning to puncture a lot?
    You don't really need CO2 and cartridges, get a frame mounted pump. I realise some swear by CO2.
    Phone and cash/cards should probably go in your jersey pockets for safety.
    You don't need 3 tyre levers, 2 is all you need to change a tyre.
    Multi-tool is a must!
  • Octopus1
    Octopus1 Posts: 56
    Just be careful that whichever bag you end up with doesn't run against your bibs/shorts. Most with velco around the seatpost will eventually.

I've pretty much given up on saddlebags, now either a lezyne caddy sack or a sticky pod for road and summer:

1 x tube
    1 x co2 plus inflator
    1 x patch kit
    1 x multi-tool
    2 tyre levers

All in middle pocket with a mini pump as a back up.

The sticky pod is tiny but has tardis like qualities and the rubber dots on the back mean it's not going anywhere fast. The caddy sack takes all the bike stuff above plus a 2nd tube for 100mile rides. RoadID for ID plus cash/doorkey and phone in a wiggle phone case in the right hand pocket. If I need extra storage in the winter, for example, to take a waterproof then a micro wedge bag can be fitted (no velco).
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Jersey takes everything the OP lists, in my case with a manual pump (no CO2), windshirt and a handful of sour jelly worms.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    DesB3rd wrote:
    Jersey takes everything the OP lists, in my case with a manual pump (no CO2), windshirt and a handful of sour jelly worms.

On long rides my jersey pockets (left and right) are stuffed with food, while the centre pocket carries phone and cleat covers. Plus I don't like the feel of over stuffed pockets, or having to pack my pockets each and every ride with the risk that I forget something.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    DesB3rd wrote:
    So where do you put your waterproof jacket, phone, keys, banana, energy gels and all the usual stuff that one starts a long ride with. Where would you put your arm and knee warmers when it gets warmer during the day?

Small aero saddle bags are, in my opinion, essential for more than a 2 hour ride in predictable weather.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Gizmodo wrote:
    DesB3rd wrote:
    So where do you put your waterproof jacket, phone, keys, banana, energy gels and all the usual stuff that one starts a long ride with. Where would you put your arm and knee warmers when it gets warmer during the day?

Small aero saddle bags are, in my opinion, essential for more than a 2 hour ride in predictable weather.
    I fully agree with Gizmodo ^^^
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Thanks for all the replies. Has certainly made me think whether I actually need a saddle bag now as I only ride for 90 mins at the moment. The bottle cage holder looks a fair idea to me but I will see how things go. Personally I think saddle bags look ugly but I do have a small Camelback as well. I shall sum things up shortly.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm thinking that there are more posts here than there are saddle bag sizes.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Gizmodo wrote:
    DesB3rd wrote:

My entire tool kit (Multitool, Levers, Self adhesive patch kit, Chain tool, Spare tube) goes in to a tiny zip up pouch that lives in a single jersey pocket with room to spare. That leaves two whole pockets for food, clothing, junk, kitchen sink, whatever else.

How much stuff are you guys actually carrying? :shock:
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Carradice camper longflap looks cool