Confused - I have been told i should buy a 29er

mali01
mali01 Posts: 81
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Ok here goes...

Me and my wife are getting a mtb each. We popped into Evans cycles for a bit of a sit on and some advice. Now my wife has chosen a Specialized Myka 29er and it fits her perfectly (she's 6'3) I had a sit on the Specialized Hardrock 29er and it felt all wrong the top tube length felt way to short and it all felt very cramped although standover height was spot on, i think anything bigger and i will be bashing my nads. It was a small 15.5 (i think) frame and im 5'8 (they didnt have the next size up for me to try)

I had a sit on a Cannondale sl 5 26er medium size (18in) and it felt 'just right' You know the feeling! But the sales guy was really pushing the 29er saying its the future and every manufacturer will be fazing out 26in wheels in the next year or so.

So my question is, is he talking utter tosh and will it be worthwhile buying the bike that feels 'just right' or do i buy something that feels all wrong and to big for me because its future proofed?

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Your wife's 6' 3"? I thought my last gf was tall at 5' 11".
  • mali01

Yep, very odd looking couple we are !! :shock:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I can well imagine!

There's a degree of bollocks going on there - 26" wheels will not disappear. That said, there is a big industry push towards larger wheels, and you may see that innovation stops in 26" wheels - many 29er XC race bikes/components are already appearing that aren't in 26" for example.

One of the places 29ers don't make as much sense is smaller riders. Check out Emily Batty's bike, she's 5'4" and the position is mental, a -17 degree slammed stem means the bars are virtually on the fork crown. Buy what you find comfortable!
  • Kowalski675
    mali01 wrote:

Yep, very odd looking couple we are !! :shock:

Aye, lol, GFs husband was only about 5' 5", so they were the same.
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    One of the places 29ers don't make as much sense is smaller riders.

Small framed 29ers do look rather bizarre.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    mali01 wrote:
    But the sales guy was really pushing the 29er saying its the future and every manufacturer will be fazing out 26in wheels in the next year or so.

What? So FR and DH bikes are all either going to disappear or go 29". Psst I don't think so.

not to mention slopstlye and 4x bikes.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    p.s had a quick google of emily batty :D I've wanted to live in wales for mtb, but eff that, canada is the one.
  • Kowalski675
    p.s had a quick google of emily batty :D I've wanted to live in wales for mtb, but eff that, canada is the one.

I just googled her. Blondes aren't my thing, but she'd definitely get it. :wink:
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I've recently been into a few shops for a gander and been told that 29 is the future and 26 will become niche (sp?). I'm not so sure, and frankly I don't care, I'm happy with 26 and will stick with it, for now at least. Anyone else remember the hype with 24" wheels? Don't see too many of those around any more.

I echo what others have said, buy whatever feels right to ride.

And yeah, just googled her too, and it would be rude not to.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They say this because they want to sell 29ers as they cost more. 26ers are still winning tests and races, and parts are readily available. Buy what suits you best, and fits well.
  • Kowalski675
    I've been riding a 29er this weekend (and today) and wanted to not like it, but it has impressed me. Ever more puzzling prospective buying confusion beckons... :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wow 6'3ft

that's tall for a women.

lol you must be like little and large.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    Horses for courses. I switched from a 26 to a 29 (hardtail, in both cases) because I wanted something that would give me plenty of rolling momentum and I'm more of a cross-country rider then downhiller. It suits me but it's not necessaily for everyone.
    I don't personally see that development on 26ers would stop and, if that's what you're more comfortable with, go with it. Happy riding.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I don't think the problem here is the wheel size. If the 18" Dale felt right, the 15.5" Spesh is going to feel small and cramped.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    The problem is he has never mentioned anything about what type of riding he does.

You will be able to find a perfect fitting bike in 26 or 29. Unless you are looking at riding tight and technical tracks, I would go for a 29, I found the benefits outway any negatives (yet to really feel any negatives though). The big carries good momemtum and is easier over rougher ground. Generally all round a bit better for a less experienced rider.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Divorce her.
  • Kowalski675
    Plasma_man wrote:
    The big carries good momemtum and is easier over rougher ground. Generally all round a bit better for a less experienced rider.

The one I was riding on Saturday at Gisburn and yesterday at Stainburn had me doing things I wouldn't have tried on my bike. To be fair though, it was a £3250 bike, I'm sure a similarly priced 26er would've felt pretty damn good too. Those big wheels definitely do roll really well over rocks, roots etc though.
  • mali01
    wow 6'3ft

that's tall for a women.

Yep, little and large. But I make up for it in other ways 8)
  • mali01
    Plasma_man wrote:
    The problem is he has never mentioned anything about what type of riding he does.

You will be able to find a perfect fitting bike in 26 or 29. Unless you are looking at riding tight and technical tracks, I would go for a 29, I found the benefits outway any negatives (yet to really feel any negatives though). The big carries good momemtum and is easier over rougher ground. Generally all round a bit better for a less experienced rider.

Yeah I should have said what kind of riding I do! It will be for general riding along uneven paths that the misses can handle with ease so nothing difficult at all.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mali01 wrote:
    wow 6'3ft

that's tall for a women.

tallwoman_shortman_005.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mali01
    cooldad wrote:
    mali01 wrote:
    wow 6'3ft

that's tall for a women.

tallwoman_shortman_005.jpg

Awesome!!!!!!