DT RR1450 Tricon Wheelset £399?

cyclingpunk
cyclingpunk Posts: 368
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
I see these wheels are on offer at Merlin for £400.. Quite a bit cheaper than they were but are the good value vs something like Shimanos RS80's or maybe even something hand build for a similar (350-400) price?

I am considering these for my Ribble Stealth build.

Comments

• cyclingpunk
    Looks like they got some good reviews online. Might pull the trigger.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,171
    Tricon use double threaded spokes, if I remember correctly... they are a nightmare to find... someone a couple of weeks ago posted something along those lines... check the workshop section

EDIT: here you go viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12922088&p=18318848&hilit=tricon#p18318848
    left the forum March 2023
  • cyclingpunk
    I was wondering why they were so cheap.. Maybe they are having trouble shifting them. Does anyone here have some?

Maybe I will hold off for a month or two and get what I really want!
  • ugo.santalucia
    I was wondering why they were so cheap.. Maybe they are having trouble shifting them. Does anyone here have some?

Maybe I will hold off for a month or two and get what I really want!

In the past I had a set of DT RR 1450, when they were not "Tricon", but "Mon Chasseral"... and used conventional J spokes.... it is the very reason I started building my own wheels... :wink:
    The spokes started to snap after about 400 miles... replace one, replace the second, within another 300 miles I had rebuilt them completely with stronger spokes... after that operation they did serve me well for 2 years and I then sold them still in very good shape. The hubs are exceptional
  • cyclingpunk
    I had read the hubs were really good too. I am very light at under 55kilos. Do you think they are worth £400 or do you think the issue with spokes is too much hassle?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I had read the hubs were really good too. I am very light at under 55kilos. Do you think they are worth £400 or do you think the issue with spokes is too much hassle?

MIne were problematic not because of my weight... I think for 400 pounds you can get wheels which are not such a nightmare to fix...
    Of course the price is appealing and if they were J spokes I would go for them, but two threaded spokes are pretty much impossible to find in stock
  • cyclingpunk
    Thanks for the advice Ugo. It is easy to get caught up in the buying when you see a bargain but if it is not exactly what I want it is not really a bargain!

My last wheels were Dura Ace 7850's and I really liked those so will wait until I can get the newer version of those or maybe something handmade from wheelsmiths.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks for the advice Ugo. It is easy to get caught up in the buying when you see a bargain but if it is not exactly what I want it is not really a bargain!

My last wheels were Dura Ace 7850's and I really liked those so will wait until I can get the newer version of those or maybe something handmade from wheelsmiths.

You live very close to Harry Rowland and that's where I would go for handmade
  • The DT Swiss Tricon 1450s are fabulous wheels.

They are really fast to spin up, pretty light given they have a totally sealed rim bed requiring no tape and are tubeless compatible.

I already had one pair, but bought another from Merlin when they came out with their £399 deal because they are wonderful and the offer was absolutely unrepeatable. I had bought my first pair from Luxembourg for around £450.

It's worth buying the nipple adjusting kit/ rebuild kit for £30, readily available from DT Swiss dealers, because the torx nipples are unique and require a special tool that comes in this kit. Adjustments are very easy, and the wheel trues far more easily than any other high tension wheel I have ever trued. Adjustment is very linear. This suggests the rim, with its concave design, is of exceptional quality. I adjusted to bring up the tension to the middle of the recommended range (they arrived towards the lower end of the spectrum). They can take it, with the boat shaped spoke inserts ensuring these rims are impossible to crack.

I am guessing that they are being phased out because a) they must be very expensive to produce and they can't make money at a competitive price point/ weight which is what the market is looking for, and b) buyers probably don't want to pay a £30 premium for an adjustment key kit. The RR21 Dicut model which seems to have been brought in to replace the Tricons bring the price down to compete with other aluminium race wheels, and look somewhat similar to the DT Swiss R1500 wheel set that used Taiwanese-made, profiled rims.

The Tricons are undoubtedly the best wheel I've bought, when compared with C24 Dura Ace 7850s, 2005 Krysium SL SSCs, and hand built Excellights on DT190 hubs.

I am 85 kgs and find these handle my weight fine, but I'm not a sprinter, so have no idea how they would handle Category racing - well, I guess their profile at 24mm is too low for start anyway.
  • I had them when they were called "Mon Chasseral" I had them for about 5 years until I wore the rims out this year I put on some more rims RR145 and they are great hubs still good great set of wheels you wont go wrong weigh 73kilos
    Yea I'm getting on