Mixing campag with shimano

Nickoo
Nickoo Posts: 85
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Iv got the shimano set up on my bike but looking at putting campag wheels on
I know some people don't like mixing the 2 makes up but does it really matter?

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    No problems at all.... Make sure the rear campag wheel you buy has the shimano compatible free hub and you'll be fine.

Ignore idiots who don't like matching gear; you're free to buy what you like regardless of whether it matches or not.
  • Nickoo
    Nickoo Posts: 85
    No problems at all.... Make sure the rear campag wheel you buy has the shimano compatible free hub and you'll be fine.

Ignore idiots who don't like matching gear; you're free to buy what you like regardless of whether it matches or not.

yea I think your right, cheers for the advice
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389

I second that. It's your bike, you paid for it, you ride it so you can do whatever you want with it.

Besides, you always see Fulcrum wheels (Campag owned) fitted as standard on Shimano equipped bikes, and you don't see anyone complaining about that.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Do what pleases you! I've got Shimano group, Rotor cranks and Praxis rings all on an Italian bike! The shame of it...
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    My riding mate fitted a shim. wheel & cassette to a campag r/d. which was 10 speed, the cass. was 9 speed all he did was alter the limit screws & it works. This was done to get a 32T rear sprocket to aid climbing & before anybody jumps in he's nearly 70 years of age.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Jeez. I may be an 'idiot' but why do it? Please don't...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    You could always bin the Shimano and buy a proper groupset?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You could always bin the Shimano and buy a proper groupset?

+2 (2 other makes that is that are proper)
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Leviticus 19:19 is very clear about this sort of thing; it's Just Wrong:

http://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Leviticus%2019:19

(Um, I may actually have Shimano pedals on Campag cranks - please don't tell anyone)
  • gfk_velo
    gfk_velo Posts: 78
    @junglist_matty
    The trouble is, all of those "idiots" have it technically correct - Shimano cassette spacing at 10s is lightly different to Campagnolo 10s spacing so although a shimano cassette can be persuaded to run tolerably, it won't run really accurately especially around the middle sprockets.

It's not about aesthetics, it's about some (pretty basic) mechanics and a fundamental difference in the approach of index gear systems taken by Campagnolo and Shimano.

@freddiegrubb
    It can work as you say but it is far from accurate for the reason noted above - as a result of that basic design difference, Campag 10 cassettes are not evenly spaced across their width, Shimano are - so there is a fundamental problem.

@Ride Hard
    The Fulcrum wheels, in common with the Campag wheels, can be fitted with either a Campagnolo or a Shimano Freehub body allowing the use of the correct cassette for the groupset fitted to the bike. Campagnolo established the Fulcrum brand to cater for OEs who wanted to fit Campagnolo-designed wheels to Shimano equipped bikes without overt Campagnolo branding ...

We are Campagnolo's main UK Service Centre, so that above info is straight from the horse's mouth - and yes, we do deal extensively with Shimano and SRAM, MicroShift, Tiso, FSA and SunRace as well, so we have tried & tested all of the obscure combinations out there - the other half of our business is about training mechanics on all brands of equipment. We are not part of Campagnolo.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I may have misunderstood, but my assumption was the op was talking about fitting Campag wheels that have a Shimano freehub, in which case it is just a question of aesthetics. If you like the look, then go for it, it's your money, your bike, you ride it. Oddly enough both Shimano and Campag make very good cycling kit !

If it is fitting Campag wheels with a Campag freehub, then it makes a lot less sense given the compromises you need to make to get it to work.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You do know that Ernesto Colnago, the Pinarello/Wilier/De Rosa owners, Mario Bertoletti (Legend) do NOT like awake worrying about Shimano/Campag being fitted on their bikes
    M.Rushton
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mrushton wrote:
    You do know that Ernesto Colnago, the Pinarello/Wilier/De Rosa owners, Mario Bertoletti (Legend) do NOT like awake worrying about Shimano/Campag being fitted on their bikes

What have they got to do with anything? They just make the bikes - who cares what they think? That's analogous to the people that make toilets lying awake worrying about whether you left the seat up or not!

Besides, Pinarellos are all made in Taiwan so Shimano is correct for them anyway and Ernesto has absolutely no taste whatsoever (look at the paintjobs and the tie in with Ferrari for proof of that!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mfin
    Mccaria wrote:
    I may have misunderstood, but my assumption was the op was talking about fitting Campag wheels that have a Shimano freehub, in which case it is just a question of aesthetics. If you like the look, then go for it, it's your money, your bike, you ride it. Oddly enough both Shimano and Campag make very good cycling kit !

If it is fitting Campag wheels with a Campag freehub, then it makes a lot less sense given the compromises you need to make to get it to work.

Sounds dead on.

...and removing some fishing tackle and replacing it with some Campag is a step in the right direction ;)
  • mfin
    mrushton wrote:

I think they do you know, imagine the upset it must cause them.

Apart from the Pinarello/Wilier/De Rosa owners... well, the Pinarello ones have no taste anyway, so no way they'd understand why to lose sleep, if they did have a moment of enlightenment it would probably first be that their bikes look like they've 'melted like chocolate in the sun' before they even twigged that they are covered in shitmano.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    As Freddiegrubb upthread said:

Campag 10s levers, Campag (10s rear mech), rear wheel with Shimano hub and 9s cassette,
    adjust the limit screws and job's a gud 'un. :wink:

@gfk
    Don't knock it until you've tried it and can confirm it doesn't work. I've got this combo on
    my 3 bikes and can confirm it works perfectly.

Seriously mate, it works.
  • mfin
    De Sisti wrote:
    As Freddiegrubb upthread said:

Campag 10s levers, Campag (10s rear mech), rear wheel with Shimano hub and 9s cassette,

That's good advice seeing as what he's asking about is putting Campag wheels on a Shimano equipped bike :roll:
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    mfin wrote:
    That's good advice seeing as what he's asking about is putting Campag wheels on a Shimano equipped bike :roll:
    :roll:
    ok mfin, this ^^^ works; for those who want to mix Campag and Shimano.
  • mfin
    De Sisti wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    :roll:
    ok mfin, this ^^^ works; for those who want to mix Campag and Shimano.

Yeah, but its not what the OP is on about is it.

But I admit it works and it contains the words Campag and Shimano