Is it worth upgrading?

jamescycling1g
jamescycling1g Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Have a trek 7.3 fx. It's okay, does the job for commuting. Bought new in December.

Saw a second hand trek singletrack mtb that looked in great condition going for a song. Kind of looked like this http://www.vehibase.com/trek-singletrack-930/photo-2.htm. Was going to use it for touring and to possibly replace the trek.

Being a ninny I did not check the seat post could move before buying the single track. Tried everything per Sheldon brown to shift but no joy, so had to hacksaw post per Sheldon but still no joy, and frame damaged in process.

My question is this. Is it worth moving the deore lx front and rear derailers and shifters, and crankset, onto the trek fx.Is this a good upgrade for the trek fx or am I wasting my time and should just sell the components.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    if they are in good condition then probably yes as they are better than what is on your fx, but if what is on the fx is working OK then why bother.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Cheers. Yes, everything works okay on the Fx, it was really because i know the parts from the single track are better spec, but in the end would still be only upgrading an fx3.

Wonder if I should just sell what I can and put money towards some new wheels as maybe looking to do some touring.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Wonder if I should just sell what I can and put money towards some new wheels as maybe looking to do some touring.

Yes, this would work out a more effective upgrade.