Light/Computer problem

rusty_nail
rusty_nail Posts: 42
edited June 2013 in Your road bikes
I've recently changed jobs and have a nice 18 mile commute twice a week. Because of this I bought a Lezyne Macro Drive light for the unlit roads. Tonight for the first time I was on my bike as the sun set and so I turned the light on, only for my Blackburn Atom cycle computer to stop working. The light is obviously interfering with the signal from the sensor, but is there any way of fixing this problem?

Comments

• johntowns
    johntowns Posts: 2
    You can try and see if the problem is only related to the flashing mode of your light. I have different lights (Cateye), but the user guide does provide a warning that the strobe or flash mode may interfere with wireless cycle computers.

If that's the cause you could try leaving your high power macro drive on a constant setting and/or adding a smaller flashing light like a knog blinder for the "being seen" value of flashing light

If it's a problem when the light is on a constant beam i'd make sure the blackburn has a clear "line of sight" to the sensor unrestricted by bars or forks to give it the maximum chance of receiving the sensor signal clearly. Also maybe try changing the battery in the sensor if you've had it a while.
  • rusty_nail
    Thanks I'll give it a try, was thinking of changing the battery as I've had it nearly a year. Just realised I put this in the wrong forum!
  • sethy
    sethy Posts: 14
    I had the same problem with this, a while back (though with different lights/computer)

I wondered if wrapping the light in tin foil would work, acting as a type of faraday cage?

I never tried it, but for the sake of science you could give it a go in your back yard perhaps, and let us know the results!
  • rusty_nail
    Am I in danger of death/ serious injury? What the heck I'll try it anyway!
  • chimpanzee
    chimpanzee Posts: 15
    Rusty Nail wrote:
    Am I in danger of death/ serious injury? What the heck I'll try it anyway!

The Lezyne lights are cooled by airflow so wrapping them up may cause you some overheating issues.

I've found moving the computer away from the light or vice versa - to a separation of ~5cm on the bars removes the interference. Either that or fresh batteries in sensor and receiver, the signal may be weakened by low power.