Winter bike versus summer bike with race blades / roadracer

cheers drive
cheers drive Posts: 63
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
OK apologies first for a winter bike post in the first week of summer (in the UK).
Over the past few winters I've been using Crud Road Racers and Ultegras on Open Pros with 23c tyres on my Ribble Sportive. The Cruds keep most of the water off but continually rub, annoying me and those riding with me. They also clog up with mud very quickly. If I changed to the Race Blades Longs would the rubbing stop or is that just a compromise of these type of cards on a bike with on a summer bike?
I'm shall be getting a new summer bike soon so I do have the option of buying a winter frame on that takes full guards such as the Kinesis T2, and transferring the Ribble's parts to that. I can get a discount on the Kinesis when I order the new summer bike, hence for my winter bike question in June :idea: Or am I just better off sticking with the Ribble which will be lighter anyway and cost me know more money?

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I have no idea what you are asking but why don't you take the guards off for the summer ?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Sorry yes it was a bit of a ramble.
    The question is not about now (the summer) but what the benefits of a winter bike with full mudguard clearance is over an old summer bike with race blade type guards.
  • Doesn't answer the question but a tip for you or any other CRR users, if you rotate the arms 180deg along the axis, although it looks like things won't line up they will with a bit of pursuasion, has the effect of widening the mudguard at the point where the brushes are and slightly along the length of the guard meaning less rubbage. I've done it on mine and now have significantly more clearance.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I find them very good, very little clearance on my bike but the only time they rub is when mud builds up on the tyre but that doesn't happen very often. The old raceblades were no good, they dumped muck all over the bike and and the longs don't look much better, full guards would be easily the best option but cruds that are set up well and not rubbing are almost as good.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I got fed up with Crud Roadracers rubbing on my Boardman frame over a couple of winters so built myself a winter bike last autumn based around a Tifosi CK7 frame. Having proper full mudguards that never rub or rattle and being able to run 25mm tyres with them has been a revelation and wish I'd done it ages ago! As a consequence, although I was always planning to eventually go for a titanium do it all bike, I've been so impressed with the Tifosi that I'm actually upgrading my "best bike" with another carbon frame, as I'm happy enough using the Tifosi when the weather is rubbish, but keeping the option of going super light when the sun shines!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I highly recommend the T2 although the CK7 was also top of my list when I built my wet weather (summer and winter) bike. As Luv2ride said, having proper SKS guards with 25c tyres, is far better than 23c/flappy lightweight guards especially if you come across uneven/wet/muddy/potholed/dirty roads. Which covers all UK cyclists presumably.

Mine weighs not much more than 9kg including pedals, guards, cages etc, so it's a good bike for anything, not just winter.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I chose my one and only bike I knew I'd want to run full proper mudguards for the wet bits of the year, 25mm tyres for comfort, but still have an involving ride. With advice from Epic Cycles I went for a Kinesis Racelight Tk. That was nearly 6 years ago, and it's proved to be a perfect year round bike.

The TK has since evolved into the Tk2 with a slightly taller head tube, and now the Tk3 with a beefier lower headset and matching fork. What's not to like?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the full on winterbike. You'll have decent clearances on there so rubbing and jamming just won't be a problem.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're considering a Kinesis frame for your winter option then don't discount the Forme Loncliffe frames which are built by Kinesis. They are probably a bit cheaper than the T2 and TK2 and come with proper mudguard eyelets front and rear.

I recently completed a winter build around one such frame + forks (carbon with alu steerer) sourced form Paul Milnes Ebay shop for £200

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160973266526? ... 1438.l2649

Final build is great and I'm now using it as a year round bike:-

8643132350_7b6ee8aa52_b.jpg

No guards fitted yet but these will go on later in the year
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That does look very nice indeed! Nice colour coordination too. Splendid work.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Yes, love that Forme. Couldn't find a frame when I was looking though...
    Here's my Tifosi:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12887619&p=17966176&hilit=Tifosi#p17966176
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Thanks for the replies. Winter bike it is.
    If I can't get a discount the the T2 I'll take a closer look at the Forme. Prefer the look of the T2 too though.