Front Derailleur problem

chrislloyd
chrislloyd Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My name is Chris Lloyd and I have a small problem with the front mech on my Diamondback Peak.

The chain appears to catch the metal loop above and just back from the front cogs when I am pedalling (sorry not familiar with the correct terms so trying to describe as best as I can!). Is there an easy way of adjusting either this metal chain guard or the front crank to run without the change catching?

I have tried to describe this as best as I can. If I can give more details please let me know as it is quite annoying!

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is the derailer at the right height? Does it do it in all gears?
  • To be honest it is as it was when the bike arrived partly made in the box. I get a strange griding and clicking sound in most gears but is more noticeable under load or hill climbing. I just noticed that the chain was catching and put the sound down to that.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Chances are it's an indexing problem, or like supersonic says the derailleur is at the wrong height.

The chances are if your running 3X9 or similar you will always have the chain catching the derailleur in the extreem gears -largest ring up front/ largest ring at back. You should try to avoid these gear ratios as if you think about it the chain is at the most skew angle in these ratios
  • I am running a 3x9 as you correctly say. I have noticed the chain rub on gear 2 at the front and second down from largest at the back but can hear a grinding in other gears also.

If the derailleur is at the wrong height, are there any tell tail signs or easy fixes to solve the problem please?

Thanks very much for all of your replies!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read 'Read this first' below - how to do everything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cracking link thanks for that Cooldad. I shall have a gander.