Focus Cayo Evo 6.0 *Updated*

denniskwok
denniskwok Posts: 339
edited November 2014 in Your road bikes
Finally picked up my Cayo Evo 6.0 from my LBS today. It's a size 48cm which is an XS as I'm only 163cm tall. Have replaced a lot of the standard bits off my old Merckx AMX-1. I was really impressed with the attention to detail of the build, with small touches like the logos of the tyres liming up with the inner tube valves.

Shimano 6700 Ultegra apart from the 105 rear mech and calipers
Fizik Arione saddle
Fizik Microtex bar tape
3T Dorico Ltd seatpost
Deda Zero 100 bars
Deda Zero 100 90mm stem
Look Keo Classic pedals
Yishunbike 38/50mm carbon clinchers
23mm Michelin Lithion 2 tyres

Will ditch the spacers in due course, but the head tube is a whole 25mm lower than my AMX-1. Saddle needs moving back a smidge. Took her out for a quick hour blast when I got back from work and amazed by the ride quality difference from the 7005 aluminium Merckx. No idea on weight yet.

IMAG1176_zps8ddd066b.jpg

IMAG1185_zps5cec77ad.jpg

IMAG1187_zps0ee8321f.jpg

IMAG1188_zps1b37dc4d.jpg

IMAG1199_zpsc43af020.jpg

IMAG1204_zpsfe495b96.jpg

IMAG1207_zpse410af22.jpg

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    How did you cycle back from Currys with that TV?
  • denniskwok
    Amazing what you can fit in your jersey pockets. :D
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Man Cave 8) I remember those days!

Love the frame.
  • denniskwok
    Thanks. I thought that the red Lithions would match the red Keos, but I think they stand out too much and I should have went for white sidewall Lithions, or all black tyres. Although I've just fitted some red anodised Hope Head Doctor spacers. I'm now thinking red saddle and bar tape. :|
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    change everything to black and make it look stealth,I have an EVO 5 in red and white but this grey and black looks so much better
  • Looks a really nice frame, you may get away with a black/ red saddle & bar tape....just
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Fwiw, I think the tyres are taking away from a great looking frame and decals. What's your opinion of the bike?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Do you live in IKEA?
  • denniskwok
    change everything to black and make it look stealth,I have an EVO 5 in red and white but this grey and black looks so much better

Yeah, I looked at the 5.0 and thought that the red and white colour scheme didn't look as good as the grey, black and white of the 6.0. A nice touch, is that the black sections are UD carbon. Also, to me, the extra couple of hundred £s for the 5.0 didn't make any sense as I had 6700 Ultegra stuff from my old bike to swap over. I also now have nearly enough 'standard' bits from the 6.0 to build up another frame.
  • denniskwok
    Fwiw, I think the tyres are taking away from a great looking frame and decals. What's your opinion of the bike?

Only done about 80 miles in total so far. Compared to my 7005 aluminium Merckx AMX-1, the bike rides so smooth and rounds off shocks and road noise way better. It's put an extra 1km/h on my average speed as I'm just able to carry more speed without the fatigue and the lower headtube probably helps in this regard too. It handles faster, but it's still predictable and not nervous. Despite the extra ride compliance, it feels noticeably stiffer under power at the bottom bracket and the fork also feels laterally stiffer too. Very happy with the bike so far.

I'm going to put an extra 40 - 50miles on the bike today, so will have a better opinion of the bike afterwards.
  • denniskwok
    Have fitted my red anodised Hope Head Doctor spacers and a spare red Wilier SLR XP saddle I have. I think it looks quite good, but I definitely will need to swap the bar tape out to either red or black now. I'm thinking red bar tape will be too much and black is the order of the day.

IMAG1223_zpsd6cb7eab.jpg

IMAG1234_zps5abfe2e5.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Some great shots. :)
  • denniskwok
    Swapped the bar tape to black. I think it definitely looks better now than with the white saddle and white bar tape. Stem dropped down another 10mm.

IMAG1253_zps38e271ae.jpg

IMAG1260_zps4080f345.jpg

IMAG1263_zpsf7d028e6.jpg
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Nice frame, but seeing as you can't quite make up your mind ...

White Arione with red stripe ...

White Fiz:k tape (logo'd version)

Plain carbon spacers

Keep the red pedals/tyres ...

Maybe black tacx tao alu cages?

and def. a Deda seatpin for continuity ...

If you feel flush some red ti skewers?

My only experience of Focus bikes is riding my buddy's gf's bike up a swiss mountain but have to say it gave me no more bother than my own bike and handled the fast descent very well ... enjoy your ride ...
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I really like this.

Stealth machine. The wheels have definitely made my mind up on a 38/50mm combo as opposed to 50/50mm. Black tape has made a huge difference too.
  • denniskwok
    edited June 2013
    Nice frame, but seeing as you can't quite make up your mind ...

White Arione with red stripe ...

White Fiz:k tape (logo'd version)

Plain carbon spacers

Keep the red pedals/tyres ...

Maybe black tacx tao alu cages?

and def. a Deda seatpin for continuity ...

If you feel flush some red ti skewers?

My only experience of Focus bikes is riding my buddy's gf's bike up a swiss mountain but have to say it gave me no more bother than my own bike and handled the fast descent very well ... enjoy your ride ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely keeping the bar tape black but thinking of a black Arione with a red stripe instead, or vice versa, but my bum seems to like the currently fitted SLR XP though. :roll: I like the red Hope spacers as they add a little bit of colourful bling, break up the mainly black and grey of the front end and balance out the other red bits.

In an ideal world, I'd have a Deda SuperZero seatpost to match the stem and bars, but I couldn't quite stretch to it (the 3T Dorico was bought unused, secondhand). It doesn't bother me too much that they don't match though and the Dorico Ltd. is a nice bit of kit, although not quite as well built as the (31.6mm) Fizik Cyrano I had before.

I want to buy some red titanium USE Spinstix skerwers, but I'm not sure that they'd have clearance to not foul the cowled carbon rear dropouts on the frame.
  • denniskwok
    cubedean wrote:
    I really like this.

Stealth machine. The wheels have definitely made my mind up on a 38/50mm combo as opposed to 50/50mm. Black tape has made a huge difference too.

Thanks man. I went for the 38mm on the front for two reasons; I weigh under 60kg so didn't want side winds to push me about a lot and I think the shallower rim on the front balances out the look of the bike.
  • RideOnTime
    Is a cool looking bike...
  • denniskwok
    Thanks. Just weighed her. Came in at 7.55kg or 16.64lbs including pedals and cages. This is quite a bit lighter than I thought it would be as Focus claims 8.4kg (18.52lbs) for a standard 6.0. Not complaining. :)
  • Great looking bike! As with you I prefer the colour scheme on the 6.0 so I've been toying with buying the 6.0 and swapping over my Ultegra groupset and Deda components from my current bike so this is a great post for me! A couple of questions if you don't kind? The 6.0 comes with a PF30 BB so what did you use to enable the Shimano crank to fit? Also what size band is the front derailleur? Thanks in advance
  • denniskwok
    Great minds.... ;-) The Shimano cranks are fitted using a SRAM PF30 plastic adapter, which is pressed in and the HT2 BB screws into the adapter. Some people may scoff at this, but the bike still feels way stiff under power and any flex from a thin, high density plastic sleeve is going to be negligible! I've not had any creaking so far and I can still use Shimano BBs, which are cheap, effective and reliable. Front mech size is 31.8mm.

Pic of the BB area and adapter.

IMAG1265_zpsc08afe45.jpg
  • jensa1963
    jensa1963 Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    Hi! Just got an account and hope it works. Not used to forums.
  • jensa1963
    Just bought a 2013 Cayo 6.0. At $1400 on sale I consider it more of a steal than a bargain :-D. This leaves me with a budget of around $800 for upgrades. Any suggestions?
  • RideOnTime
    Love It...
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Love the Focus Evo, used to have the basic Focus Cayo and managed to get weight down to 7.1kg, small bikes look just right :)
    viewtopic.php?t=12776001
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • denniskwok
    jensa1963 wrote:
    Just bought a 2013 Cayo 6.0. At $1400 on sale I consider it more of a steal than a bargain :-D. This leaves me with a budget of around $800 for upgrades. Any suggestions?

Wheels definately. The standard Fulcrums are sturdy and reliable, but weigh around 1800g for the pair. The combined weight of the seatpost and saddle is over 560g, so also plenty of weight to be chopped off there too.

P.S. Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of forums btw. :)
  • jensa1963
    Cheers :-D. Thanks for the weight figures! Me thinks the saddlepost/saddel/stem is the budget way to chopp off some weight. That will keep me happy for the summer. In all fairness I dont think weight has to be a that big of a deal. I have ridden some very light bikes in the past and they can become very, very nervous. I like a light ride but not to the degree that control of the bike becomes an issue. A little weight makes the ride a little more steady. On the other hand - my views might have to do with the fact that I turned 50 a couple of months ago and suddenly find climbing hills is more to my liking than going down ;-).
  • denniskwok
    Actually, thinking about it, the first thing I would swap would be the tyres. The bikes comes with wire beaded Schwalbe Luganos which weigh 325g each. A swap to something lighter would give you the best bang for your buck in terms of initial upgrades.
  • denniskwok
    Update, swapped the red SLR XP for a black Prologo Nago Evo. The red Lithion 2s have been replaced with some lovely Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CXs.

Stem lowered down another 5mm. Think the steerer may be getting chopped down 1cm soon, as it sticks too far up now. May also swap the red head spacers to carbon ones. I was trying to resist going for the all dark stealth look, but it looks like its going inexorably that way. :/

IMAG1386_zpsdbb1b5f4.jpg

IMAG1394_zpsa8616f24.jpg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    That looks amazing now with the new tyres and saddle. Small bikes always look so fast!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.