Scottish MTB holiday

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited June 2013 in Holidays
Right guys,

Me and the girlfriend are planning a MTB holiday up north this summer. We are looking to plan a big loop which would incorporate maybe 3 days of MTB and 2 days of hill walking, something like that.

Anyway, we are renting a small van to store all our kit in + bikes with ease.

What routes would use recommend hitting while up there? I know there Is one on the isle of Skye which is meant to be fantastic, I'm also thinking of doing fort William XC route so have some space for 1 or 2 other. More than one route per day is perfectly acceptable :-)

All advice welcome :-)

Thanks
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• joesteve
    joesteve Posts: 21
    You are spoiled for choice really. You could stop of in the Scottish Borders and do some of the Seven Stanes, Glentress, Inners, Mabie etc. Therere is loads of natural stuff as well as trail centres. Then drive up through the Trossachs, there are loads of routes around Callander, Aberfoyle, Killin etc. Fort William would be a good base and then possibly over to Aviemore doing Laggan Wolftracks on the way.
    Aviemore has tons, Burma road, Ryvoan pass, Rothiemurcas to name but a few. Off the A9 south of Aviemore there are good routes around Dunkeld and Pitlochry. You'll find great hillwalking wherever you end up.

Skye is stunning if you get the weather but a long drive and you might end up doing more driving than riding if you are not careful.

Enjoy.
  • Kerrmit1992
    We are looking to go upwards as I stay only an hour from glentress (in Livingston near Edinburgh)

Fort William is a definite, may give Skye a skip and try to stick to the mainland seeing as there are so many, I have a book on trail centres but none on natural trails :-(

Cheers
    Craig
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • joesteve
    joesteve Posts: 21
    Sorry thought you were from further south. Have you been on the Trail Scotland website. There are loads of articles on natural trails on the main website and also in the Post a Trail section of the forum.
  • Kerrmit1992
    I didn't realise there was a website like that :-)

I'll take a look, thanks! :-D
  • You could also take a look at http://www.mtbtrails.info

Loads of route info in there.
  • Kerrmit1992
    Had a look at a book I got from a colleague.
    Decided that we shall do:
    - Fort William
    - Laggan Wolftrax
    - Golspie

That should take up 3 days. The girlfriend not ha 3 days to decide what she wants to do haha.