Wheel decision

Rita
Rita Posts: 186
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct section but I'm looking for some advice on a wheelset interested in.

They are the American Classic Aero 420 wheelset

Now I use the MAVIC KSYRIUM ELITE at the minute and wondering if there is any sense changing to a more aero wheel, I ride 3 - 4 times a week with a big one at the weekend.

I love doing centuries and I hear the Classics are better in crosswind as it can be windy where I live.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers Shane

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    No. Unlesss the money is burning a hole in your pocket.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Rita
    cheers and no, I haven't even got the money :(
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have some and they are very light and stiff. I have the stormtrooper galactic white variant.

They do everything I ask of them but I have decided that hand built wheels are where my heart lies.

I am actually selling them if you are intested.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    They are excellent wheels in my opinion (have them on my new build, bought second hand, not sure their worth the RRP) but I doubt you'd notice any improvement over Kysrium Elite. I wouldn't say the 'aero' section makes any difference to be honest, its only 15mm deeper than a standard rim, they just look the part.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Rita wrote:
    Hi all,

I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct section but I'm looking for some advice on a wheelset interested in.

They are the American Classic Aero 420 wheelset

Now I use the MAVIC KSYRIUM ELITE at the minute and wondering if there is any sense changing to a more aero wheel, I ride 3 - 4 times a week with a big one at the weekend.

I love doing centuries and I hear the Classics are better in crosswind as it can be windy where I live.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers Shane

if you had pants wheels already, it might well be worth it, but you've got ksyriums - unless they're nearing the end of their rim life then keep them.
  • Rita
    Hi folks,

I take it by your responses that I would be better to hold on to what I have, the ksyriums has done about 2500 miles for me with no issues, I just thought an aero wheel would help in the wind ( head and cross ).

Thanks for the great input.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Aero wheels will only make riding in wind more of a problem, not less, especially cross winds.

And yes I realise I may be doing myself out of a sale.
    Yellow is the new Black.