People who think they're hard as nails

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
They make me laugh, especially the type that walk down the road with their arms out wide looking like they're carrying two invisible carpets :)

Or people that scrunch their forehead up all the time to look angry and super hard (invisible carpet men are invariably additionally doing this).

Most of these people are too hard to smile and say please and thank you in shops too.

...I reckon these people get inside their front doors at night and are in tears at the relief of being able to stop putting up their front now that they're out of public view, it must be very tiring for them!

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Yes, these people exist...................so what?

Let 'em get on with it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Izzee torkin' abaht mee??!!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Posted at 11:13pm. Did someone upset you in the pub and so you thought you'd come here to vent :cry: :roll: :)
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    No worse than several keyboard warriors on here (most likely on many forums).
    Laugh it off, it's good for your soul knowing that no matter what problems you have, other idiots are having it worse :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    VTech wrote:
    No worse than several keyboard warriors on here (most likely on many forums).
    Laugh it off, it's good for your soul knowing that no matter what problems you have, other idiots are having it worse :)

wise words from Vtech,
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    I had an incident with two of these supposed 'hard men' at a fair last week. One of a pair of burly gypsies barges into me (I can only assume deliberately) nearly knocking me over. I shout some expletive, the pair turn around, march back to me an ask if I have a problem!? I can be a hard man when needed, so I explained very firmly that I didn't have a problem! And was very sorry about the whole misunderstanding
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I've noticed that anyone driving an Impreza/Evo seems to be a shaven headed 30something ape that looks like they'd kill you for looking at them. Puling up next to one at the lights is a bloody nightmare!
  • VTech
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I've noticed that anyone driving an Impreza/Evo seems to be a shaven headed 30something ape that looks like they'd kill you for looking at them. Puling up next to one at the lights is a bloody nightmare!

Made me laugh. :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    rodgers73 wrote:

Complete with 'tribal' pattern tattoo's...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    I missed one of these c*nts by a whisker; damn. He was crossing the road. Straight out from the bookies and did not look. I was doing at least 30mph (with tail wind, downhill). He was a podgy thickset sort of tw4t and had I hit him, I reckon he would have come off worse.
    I shouted WAAAA at the split second I knew I was missing him and I was passing. He jumped out of his skin then shouted all the expletives under the sun at me as if it was my fault.
    Made me smile for the rest of the ride and all day thinking about it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Apparently some of these "thugs" are also cyclists

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... es-1.68685

Either that or the teenager was talking pi5h
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Any Friday or Saturday Night in Glasgow or any other city you will see the small man syndrome...Generally 5 foot tall and need to make it up in the gym to hide the fact they have a chip on their shoulder about their height. great when your 6'4 8)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    pussy cats all of them ...
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    marylogic wrote:
    Apparently some of these "thugs" are also cyclists

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... es-1.68685

Either that or the teenager was talking pi5h

It's not often you hear of a group of cyclists being described as 'burly'! :D
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    rodgers73 wrote:

My wife knows nothing about cars. Yet this is the one car she has expressly said that we will never own due to "the kind of people who drive them".

She's right mostly, I reckon.
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    I live on a rough council estate. On the worst street.
    10 to a dozen of them around here.

I ride a non-stolen road bike and I dress in Lycra. You know the rest.

The thing is I can stick up for myself and it's great to break a guys nose whilst dressed as a power ranger(their words). I feel bad for them 'coz they must get some stick after!

Generally just laugh at them though they get all confused if you agree with them and forget what they were saying.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I heard a great story yesterday about my sister in law's friend.

She was riding through town when someone tried to push her off and steal her bike.

They hadn't counted on her being a copper and ex military.

Needless to say they didn't get the bike :lol:
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I used to run pubs and for a stint was tasked with sorting out trouble pubs for a company. The real hard men are generally really polite, say please and thankyou, dont like swearing (particularly if there are children or ladies around) and really family orientated people.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    simonhead wrote:
    I used to run pubs and for a stint was tasked with sorting out trouble pubs for a company. The real hard men are generally really polite, say please and thankyou, dont like swearing (particularly if there are children or ladies around) and really family orientated people.

Is that a picture of you at work in one of those trouble pubs?
  • simonhead
    simonhead wrote:

Is that a picture of you at work in one of those trouble pubs?

Nah thats fancy dress for Halloween a year or 2 ago, i did have a knife waved at me on a couple of occasions, never stabbed though.
  • rodgers73 wrote:

I look a bit like that, only I drive a Mazda 6... I have a shaved head (hair is receding, not keen on the "in denial" look). I have a "tribal style" tattoo (I like it, but it was probably a phase I went through in my early 30's). I look like an ape (I'm massive and very hairy). I have a Goatee (I think it hides a couple of chins) and apparently I just "look like a thug"... I think my one saving grace is that I tend to wear glasses and everyone knows that makes you a Nerd, not a Thug.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • dynamicbrick
    dynamicbrick Posts: 460
    marylogic wrote:
    I heard a great story yesterday about my sister in law's friend.

She was riding through town when someone tried to push her off and steal her bike.

They hadn't counted on her being a copper and ex military.

Needless to say they didn't get the bike :lol:

One of my school mates ended up in the Royal Marines.

Couple blokes tried mugging him in Lewisham one evening. Credit to him, he did ring an ambulance for them and even enlisted the help of some bystanders to find their teeth before they went off to A&E

Mind you, he also knew bad odds when he came across them. He'd been chatting up some girl in a pub, and said girl's boyfriend took umbrage. With four of his mates they confronted him at the bar and asked him outside to settle things. Deciding he was in for a pasting if he did, he took what he saw as the only course of action - he picked up his Grolsch bottle and smashed it over it own head. On the fourth attempt the bottle broke, and he held the broken neck up to the five men and simply said "Right, who's first?". Predictably, nobody did, and they backed down. He then passed out and was carted to A&E to have his head stitched up.

Lovely guy, proper nails, completely insane.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

. . .he took what he saw as the only course of action - he picked up his Grolsch bottle and smashed it over it own head. On the fourth attempt the bottle broke, and he held the broken neck up to the five men and simply said "Right, who's first?". Predictably, nobody did, and they backed down. He then passed out and was carted to A&E to have his head stitched up. . .

Not many people would have had the sense to do that
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Giraffoto wrote:

. . .he took what he saw as the only course of action - he picked up his Grolsch bottle and smashed it over it own head. On the fourth attempt the bottle broke, and he held the broken neck up to the five men and simply said "Right, who's first?". Predictably, nobody did, and they backed down. He then passed out and was carted to A&E to have his head stitched up. . .

Not many people would have had the sense to do that

I'm not sure that qualifies you as "hard as nails" :shock: "Mental" yes! :roll:
    I live next door to an ex Royal Marine, really nice lad, couldn't see him smashing a bottle over his own head :?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    I've tested the theory that all bullies are weak cowards when confronted........ Several black eyes later I came to the conclusion that bullies are brave because they're strong and physically superior :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Got bashed by a group of them. Broke a jaw and was unaware which later got septic and ended up in the ICU.

Whatever gave them the idea that bashing a skinny bespectacled bloke would even be half fun?
  • simonhead
    In one of the pubs i ran we had a really roudy group in after a football match. I had asked them to quiet down and stop the language and it worked for a while. I gave them a second warning and one of the guys took this as a provocation and started being a sh!t bag f-this, you cnut etc. Little Stu (an ex binman in his 60's who was about 7ft tall) promptly picked him up by his collar, marched him in to the loo and washed his mouth out with soap.
  • VTech
    Sadly it's become a way of life, the Internet playing a huge role in growth.
    At least when you have someone walk upto you and lunch you on the chin you know a little about it.
    Now people do it from behind a keyboard thinking how wonderfully tough they are, often hiding behind the truth o inadequacy.

Bullies need help, it's an illness for sure.
    Living MY dream.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    VTech wrote:
    Sadly it's become a way of life, the Internet playing a huge role in growth.
    At least when you have someone walk upto you and lunch you on the chin you know a little about it.
    Now people do it from behind a keyboard thinking how wonderfully tough they are, often hiding behind the truth o inadequacy.

Bullies need help, it's an illness for sure.

Nope, a fecken good slap when someone stands up to them. Its a cycle of pain kinda thing. I hate bullies, any form.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203