Rear brakes

christopher247
christopher247 Posts: 68
edited June 2013 in The workshop
Hiya

A quick question! There seems to be low tension somewhere in my rear brake system, so when I squeeze the levers to brake, I need to squeeze them quite far in (too far) to get the bike to stop.

However, the brake pads are normally quite near the rim. Does this mean that the cable might have suffered from low tension?

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Try taking up some slack on the little threaded screw that will either be on the caliper on a road bike or where the cable comes out of the lever on a flat barred bike.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Thanks! I did actually try that and there's a mild improvement, but not as much as I'd like.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    if the adjuster won't take up all the slack then wind it back in (not quite all the way) before adjusting the cable at the mounting bolt - pull the cable tight then do the bolt up. You may need to loosen the adjuster a little if the brake blocks are now too close to the rim (hence leaving a bit on the adjuster before doing the cable)

seems odd that you suddenly have very low tension - normally it's just pad wear that causes this. Is the outer cable all seated ok in the cable stops on the frame?