Wheels: Campagnolo Hyperons or similar?

ollie cb
ollie cb Posts: 783
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm currently getting parts together for a new bike build and would like some thoughts on a couple of wheelsets.

Before we start, I am 63kg and will be using the wheels on roads around Surrey hills which as some of you may know, can be extremely bumpy and rutted in places. I will also not be using the wheelset all year round but by no means will the wheelset be reserved only for nice weather. I currently have fulcrum 5's and campagnolo neutrons.

So, previously I have ridden on fulcrum 0,1,3,5,7 etc. various mavics as well as Campagnolo shamal ultra 2's neutrons and bora ultra ones...

My question is, would hyperons be alright to ride pretty much all year round on road surfaces of varying quality? Do people on here have experience with them and if so, can they rate them against any of the wheel sets I've used?

Also, do they feel much different from the neutrons to those who have used both? If the answer is no, I may just get another pair of boras as I loved them.

Any other suggestions are welcome but please don't suggest anything hand built.

Thanks.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    ollie cb wrote:

Oh, I was going to suggest some handbuilts with Excellight rims :(
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,171
    They are beautiful things and if you plan your routes carefully and stay away from the worst bits, they might even last a while.
    Personally for full carbon I would consider the tubular version... if you want a performing ultra light set of wheels, you might as well go all the way and get the stuff PRO riders use, instead of a watered down version.
    Remember carbon clincher rims are never as robust as the equivalent tubular version...
    left the forum March 2023
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    ollie cb wrote:

Thanks.

Heretic! That's 90% of the forum now utterly lost!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Another option are Corima Winium - pretty similar considering Corima makes Campagnolo's carbon rims (or used to).

If you're feeling really flush, there's Enve 25 rims too.

Certainly go for tubulars over clinchers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    FFWD F2R's are ridiculously light - the tub version that is. I've been drooling over them for the past couple of days.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fast-forward-f2 ... t-ceramic/
    Older review http://road.cc/content/review/12459-ffw ... 0-wheelset
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Since you're riding on bad roads (who isn't in the UK?!) I'd strongly consider getting a wheelset with wider rims. Of course you've ruled out handbuilts which drastically cuts down on the interesting options.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I was looking at something similar and I think I'm settled on Boras... tubs rather than clincher and at 1350g still perfectly light enough to be classed as climbing wheels, but given that in the UK we don't exactly have the 'high mountains' I think I'd benefit more from the deeper rim and increased stiffness and resilience that they apparently bring.

If I had the cash I'd probably go for 303s or Enve 3.4s but at £1100, Bora ones are almost good value!
  • ollie cb
    Plenty to read about after all your replies, thank you.

First off, yes I know I dismissed hand-builts which is not going to go down well on here! I just like the idea of having something off the peg. Not to everyone's taste but that's just me.

So addressing some replies...
    @Ugo, thanks for that. It confirms my feelings that I will be going with tubulars next anyway. Were your comments in relation to hyperons or carbon tubulars in general? And did i notice some facetiousness: "you might as well go all the way and get the stuff PRO riders use, instead of a watered down version." ;)

@Monty Dog. Corimas - interesting option. Never even considered this brand to be honest. Before I go any further, how do I order them in the UK? I had a very cursory glance and no big suppliers stock them. Then again, there happen to be these in the classifieds:
    viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12920667
    At £290, if they are comparable to Hyperons etc, is that not bargain of the century?! (don't you go buying them now!)

@thegreatdivide - another option to consider there, thanks.

And @meesterbond, agreed on the bora ones. I had bora ultras and they were fantastic. rode them in all weathers and on the crappy roads. performed brilliantly. I only sold them to put cash elsewhere for a while.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ollie cb wrote:
    Plenty to read about after all your replies, thank you.

First off, yes I know I dismissed hand-builts which is not going to go down well on here! I just like the idea of having something off the peg. Not to everyone's taste but that's just me.

So addressing some replies...
    @Ugo, thanks for that. It confirms my feelings that I will be going with tubulars next anyway. Were your comments in relation to hyperons or carbon tubulars in general? And did i notice some facetiousness: "you might as well go all the way and get the stuff PRO riders use, instead of a watered down version." ;)

@Monty Dog. Corimas - interesting option. Never even considered this brand to be honest. Before I go any further, how do I order them in the UK? I had a very cursory glance and no big suppliers stock them. Then again, there happen to be these in the classifieds:
    viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12920667
    At £290, if they are comparable to Hyperons etc, is that not bargain of the century?! (don't you go buying them now!)

@thegreatdivide - another option to consider there, thanks.

And @meesterbond, agreed on the bora ones. I had bora ultras and they were fantastic. rode them in all weathers and on the crappy roads. performed brilliantly. I only sold them to put cash elsewhere for a while.

General observation... if you go into that money bracket, you want the ultimate performance... I think wheels in that weight range have to be tubulars to be reliable
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    The Corima's are beautiful wheels and I think there was a pair in the classifieds in the last week or so.

I have some 303 Firecrest and they aren't that light, I bought them as a bomb proof clincher rim.

For good weather riding I use my Bora's beautiful wheels, very light and even on hilly rides they don't weigh you down.

I'd love a pair of Hyperons, but can't really justify it.
  • thegreatdivide
    How about a set of 202 Firecrest tubs? If they're good enough for Bertie... ;-)
  • ollie cb
    OK so I've been doing more and more research. I did have some 303's and 404's which were both very nice I have to say. And bomb proof too.
    @velonutter, do you find the Boras as bomb-proof as I did? I rode them in all kinds of crap weather and road surface conditions. They were nothing but fantastic. Maybe I'll just have to wait until my student loan comes through and get another pair. Then again, the De Rosa will be off soon so that'll help :)

I had looked at ENVEs but didn't know where to start to be honest. Read lots of positive things on weightweenies but I don't really understand the range line up and just like hand builts, get confused with the variety of hubs that can be used.

I didn't bother with the Corimas in the end. Am i being foolish? I just feel like if I purchased them, I would always wish I had purchased Hyperons (which are still top of the list to be honest).
  • ugo.santalucia
    ollie cb wrote:
    I didn't bother with the Corimas in the end. Am i being foolish?

As a more general remark, yes, you are being a bit foolish spending that kind of money on a student loan... unless you get into investment banking, you might end up regretting spending 2 K on some wheels later in life... but this is off topic, of course...
  • Velonutter
    @Ollie, All Campag wheels I have found bomb proof and I'm not a lightweight. The Bora's are absolutely stunning wheels, I wish they did them in a Clincher.

Concerning the 202's I could see no advantage of them over a pair of Neutron Ultra's and they are heavier than them as well and 3 times the price.

I didn't know that Corimas used to make the Campag Carbons, worth knowing, always liked their wheels.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Velonutter wrote:
    The Bora's are absolutely stunning wheels, I wish they did them in a Clincher.

Surely they do?! Two way fit at the very least.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegreatdivide
    Velonutter wrote:
    @Ollie, All Campag wheels I have found bomb proof and I'm not a lightweight. The Bora's are absolutely stunning wheels, I wish they did them in a Clincher.

Concerning the 202's I could see no advantage of them over a pair of Neutron Ultra's and they are heavier than them as well and 3 times the price.

I didn't know that Corimas used to make the Campag Carbons, worth knowing, always liked their wheels.

Neutron Ultra – 1480g
    Zipp 202 Tubular – 1095g
  • ollie cb
    To the off topic remark, let's not worry ourselves with that shall we? :) was just a joke and I can more than afford whatever I choose.

@Velonutter, I don't have much to add but again, I appreciate the input on the campagnolo wheels. You definitely echo what I feel about their longevity etc.

But regarding the price of Hyperons and 202s, they seem relatively similar
    202s = £1600
    Hyperon One = £1600
    Hyperon Ultra Two = £2000
    And then those Corimas in the classifieds = £290!

That is a hell of a diference! Granted they are second hand but the condition looks fantastic etc.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Anyone here had the Hyperon Ones and Ultra Twos - clinchers - for a comparison? Carbon covered hub and lighter weight is the only difference as far as I can see. And 400 quid less for the Ones? Is it worth the extra for the Ultra Twos I am wondering.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    giant man wrote:
    Anyone here had the Hyperon Ones and Ultra Twos - clinchers - for a comparison? Carbon covered hub and lighter weight is the only difference as far as I can see. And 400 quid less for the Ones? Is it worth the extra for the Ultra Twos I am wondering.

I think the other difference is the Twos have ceramic bearings but whether that is worth the money is debatable I guess .
    FFWD F2R's are ridiculously light - the tub version that is. I've been drooling over them for the past couple of days.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fast-forward-f2 ... t-ceramic/
    Older review http://road.cc/content/review/12459-ffw ... 0-wheelset

I have a set of these, tubs, with DT Swiss 240s hubs and love them. Magic carpet ride feeling.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    giant man wrote:
    I think the other difference is the Twos have ceramic bearings but whether that is worth the money is debatable I guess .

Ah yes the ceramic bearings, forgot about that, now it more or less adds up, thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    for the light at all costs lot

Wheelset 1 2.1 Kg with 27 mm Pave' tubs PB up Box hill 6.59
    Wheelset 2 1.5 Kg with 23 mm CX tubs PB up Box hill 6.55

Projecting it up the Alpe d'Huez, should come at 30-35 seconds difference... hardly worth to bother for climbing... they feel sprintier and accelerate a bit faster, but in aerobic climbing the difference is negligible
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

Neutron Ultra – 1480g
    Zipp 202 Tubular – 1095g

When you compare clinchers versus clincher :roll: :wink:
  • thegreatdivide
    Velonutter wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Neutron Ultra – 1480g
    Zipp 202 Tubular – 1095g

When you compare clinchers versus clincher :roll: :wink:

OP rides tubs.
  • ollie cb
    As an update, I went for bora ultra twos in the end. Thanks for everyone's input.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ollie cb wrote:
    As an update, I went for bora ultra twos in the end. Thanks for everyone's input.

On the student loan? :lol:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    ollie cb wrote:

A fine choice.... I've just fitted Bora Ones on Veloflex Carbons to my bike. First ride yesterday and they feel great - particularly through the corners, although that's probably as attributable to the tubs as it is the wheels.

Swapping the brake pads out was a real PITA though.
  • thegreatdivide
    Yip, Campagnolo's so called easy fit new brake pad thing is a nightmare!!!

I bought the pair of de badged Roval Alpinist SL tubs from the Classifieds last month. Took the old GP4000’s off and stuck some fresh Sprinters on (normally ride Vittoria but wanted to take Tufo sealant to the Alps in July). The DT Swiss hubs are great and the total build weight with Ti skewers is sub 1600g.
  • ollie cb
    ollie cb wrote:

On the student loan? :lol:

Nah actually I will be managing without one since I work extremely hard too. But thanks for your concern?!

I have gone for Vittoria corsa evo CX again as I had on my previous boras.

Glad to hear you like yours meesterbond. You can't beat the subtle decals either :)

Thegreatdivise, is the tufo sealant any good? I haven't punctured on tubs yet touch wood but just wonder whether that stuff is worth using
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make sure you use a latex-compatible sealant with your Vittoria tubs - I recently installed Stans in my Pave tubs for Belgium.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..