can I join the Clipless club?

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Yup, thats right, after about 170 miles, I fell off today, am I bothered? not at all, was it in a stupid place? damned right!!! haha

left my house, about 100 yards away is my mates house, who I go cycling with, un clip my left as I always do, but rest my foot on the pedal until I get right outside his house, then, try to put my right foot down :D:D HAHAHA!!!! A graze to the knee, bike is 100% though :D

Still went out and did 32 miles, with 3 personal bests and a top 10 strava time, so, am I now an official member? LOL
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    yep, that'll do :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Did you go down in slow motion? That will earn you gold member status in the clipless club.
  • KevChallis
    marylogic wrote:
    Did you go down in slow motion? That will earn you gold member status in the clipless club.

Yes, especially as another rider, I haven't met before, who came with us, saw me do it haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    I've done this twice since going spd-r, once was almost exactly as described, on my 2nd clippless outing, got back home, unclip right foot,slow to stop, put fut 'down' and actually clipped in again... splat. Managed to cusion the bikes fall with my body so no damage done.

The bestest was a couple of weeks ago, was trying to extend my 30 mile usual circuit to 40 miles, got to a T junction, knew I needed to do a 100 yard or so dogleg, but was it right or left (rolls forward), right or left (and a bit more), no, it was right (and a little bit more), deffo right (almost at the give way lines), oops, cars, double oops still clipped in and... splat. Two of the three cars sailed past. One stopped and, yes, you've guessed it, it was plod. :oops:

Still, at least he was nice enough to stop. :D
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    To be a platinum member of the club you really need to go down in slow motion, try and grab your cycling buddy on the way down in panic (who just happens to be about to go in to hospital for a hernia op) and hurt him as well.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    For an added bonus try pedalling while unclipped and then realise you've clipped back in without noticing -- I didn't fall but I nearly did!
  • KevChallis
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    To be a platinum member of the club you really need to go down in slow motion, try and grab your cycling buddy on the way down in panic (who just happens to be about to go in to hospital for a hernia op) and hurt him as well.

Obviously speaking from experience lol :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Many years ago when i first bought clipless pedals i pulled up at a junction, stayed clipped in and rested my hand on top of a bollard (one of those that lits up). Unfortunately for me the bloody things wasn't as securely attached as it should have been, so it slowly but surely fell over and i was a goner!!!

Would have been bad enough if i was alone, but i was out on a club run........
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I managed to fall off today without even using the assistance of clipless pedals!

On my tandem, both me and my 6 year old son on the ground.

Directly in front of a police car :oops:

Nice copper, checked we were both ok
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Friend of mine just bought some after I had said I can't ride without them. He was proudly telling me in the couple of days he's had them he hasn't fell off once. We left mine to go for a 40 miler he had mapped out on his new Garmin, he went 10 yards left before I called to say didn't you say you wanted to buy a spare tube and that the shops the otherway. He promptly stopped and toppled over :lol:
  • Dean2711
    Dean2711 Posts: 13
    I've just started cycling again, hadn't cycled since I was about 8. bought a road bike and some clipless pedals first time on the bike ( Thursday) barely covered 2 meters and I fell off :lol: got back on and fell off again :roll: touch wood I've manage to stay on the bike and am getting the hang of the pedals nicely, don't think I would ever go back to any other type of pedal.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    hehe, must be difficult to re-start cycling straight to clipless, I think most here used flats for a little while before switching.
  • KevChallis
    No flats for me either, straight onto clipless :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Dean2711
    Dean2711 Posts: 13
    hehe, must be difficult to re-start cycling straight to clipless, I think most here used flats for a little while before switching.

I think what caused me to come off was, I was trying to ride on the grass (just in case I fell off) but had the bike in a hard gear, after the 2nd fall I realized and put it into the easiest gear and was fine although a bit wobbly.