Great Notts Bike Ride (100miles)

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
Anyone else doing this?

Just 4 weeks to go now and the rider packs have started landing - seems to be improving each year with the organisation, but I'm still worried we have to do that mud track (!) bit right near the end.

Pre-booking the food is a good idea but I'm not sure how good having a full burger with cheese is halfway through a sportive :shock:

It'll be only my 3rd Imperial century ever (last years being the 1st and one more in March which damn near killed me) so I'm looking forward to the challenge. I just hope to get the intake right as I cramped up massively at about 85 miles and that hurt.

Fettling the Madone at the moment and fitting new parts to make it's in the best shape it can be (now I just need to try and drop as many lbs as I can myself!)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• bunch from our village (wymeswold) are doing it. It was great last year. Its a good charity and of course you support the local events but lack of timing and pay as you go feed stations make it a bit pricey compared to other events. Nice flat course is good for PB's. Have fun and see you out on the road.
    how can I be skinny and fat at the same time
  • nik6158
    nik6158 Posts: 32
    I'm doing it with my brother and a friend from work it'll be our first 100 mile ride, should be a good day hopefully.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I am down to do it as is letap73.

Did the 50 last year so I know half the course :-)

Just had 3 weeks off following a small crash so I need to get stuck in - it is always hard after a lay off.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm just hoping those older guys I shamelessly (but with permission) got a huge tow off are there again... These guys were astonishing, passing people half (or even a 1/3) of their age, and they kept going and going.

Really friendly group as well, had a great chat on the way 'round and they helped me through my mid-ride 'dip'

Oh and I just looked at the profile from last year... that 1st hill at just before 12 miles. Ouch.

I'm number 75 this year
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smidsy
    I remember the hill well. It is quite steep but short, so just get up and over it and forget it :-)

Number 127 for me.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Quick question: which of the stops are you going to use?

We stopped at all of them last year but frankly I really don't know why we bothered with the 1st one (I think I felt I just had to)

This time we're going to use the middle 3 (37, 57 and 79 ish I think) and go through to the end missing the last one like last year.

I'm hoping a stupidly huge breakfast and loads of coffee will carry me through the to the 1st stop :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smidsy
    No game plan currently. On the 50 last year I did not stop at any.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'd recommend missing the last one whatever your plan is. The family riders were swarming around that one when we went past and it's only 10 miles to go by that point.

I was just thinking about that last section last night and remembered that was the only time I got worried about other road users. Some of the family riders had no road sense at all and were swerving all over the place.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    I'm just hoping those older guys I shamelessly (but with permission) got a huge tow off are there again... These guys were astonishing, passing people half (or even a 1/3) of their age, and they kept going and going.

Really friendly group as well, had a great chat on the way 'round and they helped me through my mid-ride 'dip'

Oh and I just looked at the profile from last year... that 1st hill at just before 12 miles. Ouch.

I'm number 75 this year
    I am wondering if I am one of those “older guys” and I certainlydon’t have a problem with anyone taking a tow from me. I am using this event as part of my preparation for the Ride London 100 and it is the 14th time that I have done the GNBR.

I remember that hill well as it is one that suddenly ramps up in the middle and does catch you out in the wrong ring! It has a very fast drop on the other side though.
    Quick question: which of the stops are you going to use?
    We stopped at all of them last year but frankly I really don't know why we bothered with the 1st one (I think I felt I just had to)

This time we're going to use the middle 3 (37, 57 and 79 ish I think) and go through to the end missing the last one like last year.

I'm hoping a stupidly huge breakfast and loads of coffee will carry me through the to the 1st stop :)
    As for stops, like last year, I am not planning on using any, (unless it is very hot and I need some extra fluids).
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - if you were, you might remember me as the guy with the camera strapped to his head. I was drinking like a fish and these guys simply didn't seem to need to. In the end I concluded that they had some weird moisture absorption thing going on :D

(I also needed the stops just to stretch my legs.. I'm really not used to being in the saddle that long)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stedman
    Well - if you were, you might remember me as the guy with the camera strapped to his head. I was drinking like a fish and these guys simply didn't seem to need to. In the end I concluded that they had some weird moisture absorption thing going on :D

(I also needed the stops just to stretch my legs.. I'm really not used to being in the saddle that long)

What was your time last year?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Riding time was 6:30 I think and the total time 7:20 ish
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smidsy

I'd be very happy with anything under 7hrs ride time.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    smidsy wrote:

I'd be very happy with anything under 7hrs ride time.

Endomondo record of the ride shows:

Distance 102.29 mi
    Duration 6h:34m:30s
    Avg. Speed 15.6 mph
    Max. Speed 39.9 mph
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stedman
    5:10ish in total
  • Kieran_Burns
    So you would've been one of the many people who went flying past at the start. I was almost at the very front when the Sportive started. That didn't last long!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stedman
    So you would've been one of the many people who went flying past at the start. I was almost at the very front when the Sportive started. That didn't last long!
    That also used to also happen to me 12 years ago.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Not got my rider pack yet. Might have to give them a nudge.

I'm looking forward to it. Did 100 miles in the Peak District today with 7500ft climbing including Winnats Pass so as long as I stay injury free between now and then I'll be ok.
  • Kieran_Burns
    So Rob you'll be leading the train then? :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    I'll be taking my turn of course. I'd like to think we could do it in under 6 hours.
  • Kieran_Burns
    R0B75 wrote:
    I'll be taking my turn of course. I'd like to think we could do it in under 6 hours.

Riding time I hope 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    No, including stops! :twisted: :lol:
  • I did last years in 6:48 (6:23 riding time) hoping to go a bit quicker than that this year so will probably be on a similair schedule to you guys.
  • Kieran_Burns
    One of my mates just told me he got his rider pack and his number is 800 and something... my God, there are going to be so many people doing the 100 mile this year.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    I got mine today. I'm in the mid 900s.
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    I did it last year, first ever 100, 6.48.00, i had only been riding 4 weeks before it, and i had never done anymore than 15 miles in one go, i thought "how hard can it be", bloody nearly killed me and with being a carpet fitter , i could hardly get down for a week, knees were shot, im in better shape this year so im aiming for around 6 hours, which will be a push as i will be riding alone, like i did last year. Good luck to all that are doing it, my number is 399
  • Kieran_Burns
    R0B75 wrote:
    I got mine today. I'm in the mid 900s.

:shock:

they really WEREN'T joking in that email that went out about numbers.

I'm going to rock up very early to make sure I'm right at the front like last year. I was in the first group to set off... I've still got the footage from that somewhere.

I'm going to film the start and the finish this year. Probably turn the camera back on when we get to the traffic lights where we join back up with the 50 mile loop and film all the nutters with no road sense :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    I'll be getting there early too, I've got VIP parking so I don't have to park elsewhere.
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    I've only done one sportive before (Rutland CiCLE 74 miler) and there was plentiful food to help yourself to at the feed station.

Am I right in thinking that on this 100 mile Notts ride I'm doing you don't get any food you don't pay for then?? Is that normal on an event you've paid £26 for? Just wondering if my expectations need modifying...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Energy drinks and gels are all free, but the food is extra
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X