Clicking sound when pedalling

ScottyXTUK
ScottyXTUK Posts: 38
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi

I've recently bought a Cube Agree GTC SL and the last few days I have noticed it making a clicking sound when I pedal. It seems to be coming from around the crank/pedals area but I'm not 100% sure. I can't test it at home as when I turn the bike upside down and spin the pedals I can't hear the sound.

It is annoying me and I just want to try sort it. I am no good at dismantling components so I don't want to pull anything apart. Is there anything I can try to begin with? Should I take ot to my LBS for them to check it over?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    check pedals are reallly tight.

Is it a light clicking?

Does it happen when going uphill under effort or on the flat?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You need to try and narrow that down.

Does it still click when standing? - could be the seat post (a bit of grease on the post cures that)

Not holding the bars? - headset or stem bolts would be the culprit

Pedalling with R or L foot only? - obviously the appropriate pedal

Is it every rotation of the pedals? - points to something with the BB or pedals

or less regular? - could be the chain

Unfortunately can be a lot of things but work through it methodically and you should find it.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • birel101
    birel101 Posts: 32
    I have the same thing going on, mainly when peddling under load I will hear a click every revolution. It all started after I tried indexing my gears and I have no idea what I'm doing tbh. Did the clicking noise just appear? or did you make any adjustments beforehand?
  • ScottyXTUK
    ScottyXTUK Posts: 38
    Hi

Yes it's light clicking, I am going to test it out tomorrow to try and narrow it down. The clicking started shortly after I started riding the bike, I haven't messed with anything, the only thing I've done is fitted Shimano SPD pedals.

I am off for a ride tomorrow so will report back. I am also going to try and oil some of the parts and see if that fixes it.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Make sure its not your shoe or something rubbing past the crank arm. Had that before. Looked bike up and down couldn't find the fault then noticed my shoe was rubbing on it, doh.
  • cojones
    cojones Posts: 131
    It could also be your cleat, although less likely. I have that on my mountain bike but have just come to accept it.

Coincidentally I have a click on my road bike when the right pedal comes into line with the chainstay. There's nothing rubbing, everything is tight, so I'm just going to monitor it and see if it gets worse. If not, I'll live with it.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'd check the end of the gear cable isn't catching the crank as it goes round.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    I'd check the end of the gear cable isn't catching the crank as it goes round.

+1, most likely cause, esp on the smaller ring
  • team47b
    can't be the cable end as on this bike the end will align with the end of the crank and it would not arrive as a new bike with enough excess cable to reach.

Still going with pedal tightness or cleat.
  • forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    "clicking' from poor indexing should be easy to spot.
    Similarly from the foot pedal inerface
    depending on the "sort" of click - could be a spoke, which would mean you cant hear it when the bikes upside down
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    "clicking' from poor indexing should be easy to spot.
    Similarly from the foot pedal inerface
    depending on the "sort" of click - could be a spoke, which would mean you cant hear it when the bikes upside down

This depends on if the click is in the rotation of the wheel and not the crank. If the spoke was to blame is would happen even without him pedaling. I would suggest the OP sits on the bike while stationary and pedal backwards to make sure its not him.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Did you grease the threads of the pedals before mounting the pedals? Even ungreased threads should not do clicking noises, but this came to my mind first.

It could be anything, but you said, that it started after you mounted the pedals. Try with normal shoes. If your shoes have lacing, it could be the wrapped end of a lace, I have that quite often. And yes, there are laced bike shoes!

Try the old pedals, if you still have them.

Try moving the cranks to the side. If there is any movement, even the slightest, even invisible, as long as you can feel it, see your LBS for re-adjustment. This is something you should check once a month, anyway.

If you are lucky, your LBS will find the cause in a split second. If you are really unlucky, he will try to sell you a new bike. Try anyway, if you can't solve it by yourself.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    team47b wrote:
    can't be the cable end as on this bike the end will align with the end of the crank and it would not arrive as a new bike with enough excess cable to reach.

You're assuming that the cables were cut short enough when built, may not actually be the case.
  • It could well be the bearing in one of your pedals needs to be properly tightened. You might not notice it under normal easy pedalling, maybe just under bigger load. If you haven't done this before, ask your lbs to do it as it has to be just right. Getting this done will at least eliminate it if it should continue clicking.
  • team47b
    Gozzy wrote:
    team47b wrote:

You're assuming that the cables were cut short enough when built, may not actually be the case.

You're right, it was an assumption, one based on two cube bikes wicth are supplied with irritatingly short cables which don't give you enough cable to get hold of for tensioning, looks neat just not very practical. :roll: