enduro race newby..

stanny_uk
stanny_uk Posts: 147
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Whats the deal with enduro. Considering out first.. we ride trail centres most weekend and fancy next challenge.we.re not super fit racing snakes but like some nice down action so thought enduro miggt be up our street.. looked at enduro1 and ukgravityenduro.. we just dont wanna pick wrong events and look silly in amognst seasoned pro...

Comments

• Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Enduro is trying to encourage an 'anybody's welcome' atmosphere. Compared to other XC and downhill races they are pretty relaxed affairs.

You turn up, register etc and depending on the event there maybe a qualifying before the race or just go - check the sites details to know for sure.

There is always a handful of pro and semi pro riders who will inevitably dominate the top 10 so its best to ignore them :-), focus more on having a good time - enjoy the trails and a good taste of competitive atmosphere and aim to beat your mates rather than feeling any pressure to place at a certain spot overall (saves disappointment if you have a couple of bad runs!)

If you ride every week the chances are you'll fall into the middle of the general 'fitness' of the field.

Give it a go! Its good fun :-)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    edited June 2013
    UKGravityEnduro stuff is great. They've had some issues with timing in the past, and last year the length of time to get to the next stage was a bit harsh at Inners which turned the whole thing into a bit of an XC race in the end. But they're great weekends away. Definately get involved.
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    edited June 2013
    Its good fun mate give it a go.

There are entry level events like enduro1 then if you like it step up to the UK Gravity enduro. Where are you based? Here is a calander of most of the GE:
    http://www.rootsandrain.com/calendar/#! ... ,gb,ie/sd/

Edit

also not on the list:

http://minienduro.tv/ (Enty level)
    http://www.ardrockenduro.co.uk/event (Not Enty level)
    http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Blu ... oTour/2958 (Not Enty level)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The No Fuss/Bluegrass one isn't likely to be a very good intro btw- looks to be a big, big day out with some proper hard trails. Really looking forward to it but it might snap me like a twig, it's about 50% longer than their last kinlochleven enduro by all accounts and that killed me and my bike :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Did my first Enduro race at the weekend...it was a beast!

Pure mountain born French guys, all with very decent bikes and I rocked up on my Rockhopper!

Started out wet (I'm used to dry, dusty trails) and got wetter..and wetter and then started snowing. Special Stage 3 was insane but made it down and was just pushing it to the max on the pedally bits. Last 2 stages got cancelled because it was too dangerous up there.

But came a respectable :? 84 out of 114. Pretty sure with the right bike I'd have made the top half so that's my next goal (proper bike & top half)

Was great fun and good experience - would highly recommend it.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    Northwind wrote:
    The No Fuss/Bluegrass one isn't likely to be a very good intro btw- looks to be a big, big day out with some proper hard trails. Really looking forward to it but it might snap me like a twig, it's about 50% longer than their last kinlochleven enduro by all accounts and that killed me and my bike :lol:
    Sound great :D Are you doing it Northwind?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye... Did their Dudes of Hazard enduro last year on the same patch, which was just plain daft in some ways- 2 massive long stages and one short one, snowstorm on the practice day, some fearsome trails... Brilliant weekend, I had a howler racewise but a fantastic time anyway.

Put it this way... Doing the UK Gravity Enduro at innerleithen, I had a mechanical and I decided to pull out rather than risk damaging the bike, didn't feel like the riding was worth that. Doing the No Fuss one, I had a mechanical in stage one, and never dreamed of stopping because it was too damn good. Ended up wrecking my wheel, tyre, BB, shoe, and mech, cost me a fortune to sort it all out, lost the feeling in my toes for days afterwards, all to come in about 200th place. Totally worth it, didn't regret a moment :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist