Bethany Sportive 2013 (Edinburgh)

thecrofter
thecrofter Posts: 734
A bit late in the day but just in case anyone is at a loose end this weekend why not try this one.

http://edinburghsportive.btck.co.uk/

Not expensive, great food stops and your money genuinely goes to a good cause. 102 or 72 mile routes and the weather's looking OK too.
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Crofter - I'll be there. Hope to see you! You must be glad you didn't need to change your signature :lol:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thecrofter
    No need to change the signature yet, I dare say it'll happen one day, but it is a rather amusing oddity that the Cabbage have been cup-less for so long when it has been won by almost half the teams in Scotland. Happy days!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Just got back from this. Was a great day, friendly, really well run and some amazing country.
  • thecrofter
    Yeah a good run out. Even the weather was kind to us after a cold-ish start. My fastest 100 by about an hour I think. Started off well wthl my cycling buddy then we split at about 40 and I solo-ed the next 30 which was a bit tougher. Then got in tow with a couple of girls and we worked together and chatted along the next 20 'til the top of the last hill. Then blasted the last 10 with unexpected reserves of energy in a group of 4/5. Some really nice long descents, but a couple of real slogs early on, with the big lump of the Witchy Knowe in the middle, Endomondo reckons 6000ft of climbing.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Well done guys - which route did you do? I did the 102 but went via Temple both ways (so it came in at just under 105 miles). It was a lovely day. Weather was better than expected, and some nice folks I met on the way. Strava has 7,500 feet of climbing!

Here is my Strava - http://app.strava.com/activities/57494878
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I was out and about with the family today and saw people on this event - having done this sportive before I know how good it is and actually cycled the route(well a longer version) last week on my own. I was at the Waterwheel café at Selkirk and watched you guys pass by.

Some people must have been lost though as I saw several riders on the A7 between Stow and Fountainhall - major mistake as that's a busy road or either that they were cheating to get a flatter route rather than take the hilly parallel b road to Heriot.
    Brian B.
  • It was my second time riding the Bethany, and while I improved my time, I still suffered on the climbs! There's something about this ride that just disagrees with me. I put it down to really not being in sportive shape until the summer (such as it is) finally arrives. :roll:

I started off early and chatted to a rider who was a bit apprehensive about the ride ahead (she was doing the 72 miler). By the time I decided I needed to go ahead, my group was out of sight. Not a good start! A sign of how badly I was going to do on the climbs came early, on the outward ascent of the Moorfoots. I've done that climb often but I found it more of a slog than I should have. Through the relatively shallow climb in the valley towards Innerleithen, I was starting to get passed by later starters. After a very brief water top-up, I picked up the pace and skipped the second stop (Tushielaw).

Witchie Knowe punished me more than last year and amongst those who passed me was a female rider who called out encouragement. I soon passed her on the way down the other side (I love descents where you can just see round the corners enough to barely feather the brakes). From that point on, we stuck together for the next 15 miles until I got dropped on the climb to Clovenfords. I wasn't too ashamed of that though as she is a triathlete and was using the ride as a training run for an Ironman! :shock: I was disappointed that I was struggling by this point though.

From then on, it was a case of pass-and-be-passed, some never to be seen again (ahead or behind) and others I'd cross paths with regularly. I made the most of the third stop (fantastic choc chip cake!) and skipped the fourth stop. Three of us then co-operated from the return ascent of the Moorfoots to the finish, and the company was very welcome. I tried my bit of helping with the drafting (not once on the whole route did I get a tailwind), but my smaller frame was never going to be quite such a help to them as they were to me. :D

I'd taken the Temple route outbound but we went back via the A7 - not nearly so much fun but not so bad in a small group. At the finish, the tea and macaroni pie went down a treat. 8) If I'm going to do it a third time next year, I really need to get into endurance (and particularly climbing) shape earlier in the year!

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • thecrofter
    I know what you mean about the climbs, I much prefer something like the Witchy Knowe, a short-ish, sharp hill, 7% or more for a mile. The Granites, Paddy Slacks and the Berry Bush are all 2-4% and go on for ever