What do we all think about Enigmas

dragonontheedge
dragonontheedge Posts: 496
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
My local LBS has an Enigma Echo in my size.

Not a bad build with Fulcrum wheel set (not sure which), Vredestien tyres, Ultegra brakes and 105 groupset.

Very tempted at a sale price of £2,150.

It obviously has a hand made titanium frame and rides like a dream.

Is it good value and would this be a better ride than my 2007 Spesh Allez which runs a 105 Ultegra mix ?

Cheers

Al
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i have now done nearly 1000 miles on my echo, full 105 group set. love mine and get plenty of admiring/envious glances as i pass! playing devils advocate £2100 would probably get you a lot of carbon bike.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Good price for a titanium bike...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sounds like a good price, but bear in mind that it has an integrated headset and Enigma have recently changed the design of the Echo very slightly (straight seat stays, rather than curved).

Also, unless it's a bespoke frame, it will likely have been made in the far east (nothing wrong with that though).
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Excellent bikes, Enigma themselves are brilliant at customer service if you buy a bike from them (don't know if you buy one of their bikes from someone else though). Mark and Jim are real enthusiasts and really look after their customers.

Have a look at this http://www.enigmabikes.com/clearance1.html to make comparisons
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I have used my Enigma for 4 years now and I still love the ride. There after sales service is excellent. I thought there was a handling issue with my frame, when new. I boxed it up and sent it back to them. It was fine but they were not happy with the finish on the forks so they included a new set, and new headset, f.o.c. It was the rear wheel that was out of kilter, my wheel, my fault.
    They paid for the transport and testing of the frame, and the whole thing only took 9 days from first contact to getting the frame and new fork back.
  • dragonontheedge
    dragonontheedge Posts: 496
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for all your replies.

I was certainly very impressed with the frame. The workmanship was just incredible with beautiful welds.

I would prefer Ultegra shifters but that is something I can upgrade along with the wheels when cash allows.

It sounds daft but what is holding me back is the thought of not using my Allez. I have had it for about 4 years and have upgraded it right the through. I suppose it could become a winter bike etc. i dont want to part with it.

The LBS have suggested part funding it through my firm's ride to work scheme with the rest in cash. That would save another £300 odd. Very tempting.

Thanks for all your replies.

Al
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    yeah just keep your allez for winter, and if your lbs is willing to do that thats brill!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Have you actually ridden it? I ask because I took a trip down to Enigma last week to try out one of their Esprits, a bike I've coveted for a while. Now, I completely agree with what's already been said about Enigma's excellent customer service and their frames' incredible build quality, but I'm afraid the ride of ti was not at all what I'd expected. It was quick, it was light, it was insanely comfortable, but it was - well - dull. My Dream of one day owning an Enigma has not died, but it's moved on to something steel.

PS. Go look at Enigma's clearance section. Some of the bikes there are way better value than the one you're looking at.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Jonny sounds like a Feather bike for you then.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It just depends if you like the feel of titanium or not, I personally do not. I must prefer steel. I rode two of Enigma's finest models at their open day a couple of years ago, and I was not impressed.

I also rode their XCr model, the Extensor, and was blown away. Fantastic feedback from the frame. So don't take it that a particular material must be good and feel good just because it looks good, which I'm sure most people go for first, because for me it's all about the ride.

But as far as a company goes, Enigma are a great British company. Jim and Mark are such cordial hosts, their workmanship is second to none, and I doubt it you will find better customer satisfaction.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Yes, its very much a feel thing. I love the Enigma because it smooths out the road buzz. Call it comfortable, call it dull, its perception. It is certainly a great handling frame, not brutal like alloy. I had a Giant alloy compact frame and I loved it but it was very wearing on long rides.
    The Enigma is an all rounder, I use mine all year round. I put my good wheels on in the Summer and its a climbing beast. Sturdy wheels and tyres, and its a winter trainer.
    Also, because its Ti, I can leave the frame to my grandchildren.

• PS. Go look at Enigma's clearance section. Some of the bikes there are way better value than the one you're looking at.[/quote

Just done that thanks to your recommendation. There certainly are some better value bikes up for grabs. For a couple of hundred more than the bike at my LBS I could get a bike direct with Campagnolo Athena Carbon groupset and Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheels. Mmmmmmmm, sweet.
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    I think it can take a few rides to get fully appreciative of a Ti ride. The more I rode my Ti Enigma the more I loved it. I also had a very nice carbon Cervelo but ended up using the Enigma for most of my riding as it became just such a pleasure.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

PS. Go look at Enigma's clearance section. Some of the bikes there are way better value than the one you're looking at.[/quote

Just done that thanks to your recommendation. There certainly are some better value bikes up for grabs. For a couple of hundred more than the bike at my LBS I could get a bike direct with Campagnolo Athena Carbon groupset and Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheels. Mmmmmmmm, sweet.

The Esprits in clearance are literally brand new. They were built for the recent open day. Gorgeous bike, just not for me.