Beginner lessons learnt

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
After getting up to 30 - 40 miles I thought I would mix it up a bit a do a bit of running, Endomondo I noticed has a 2 mile running fitness test so thought I would give it a go. I did OK but not used to running so my legs were aching a bit but nothing to write home about.

Two days later and I started getting a pain in the hip, four days later could hardly walk so went off to the GP who diagnosed bursitis on the hip and prescribed pain killers and rest.

Two weeks later, pain has gone and I was itching to get back on the bike; especially as I have spent every spare minute over the last two weeks stripping, cleaning, greasing, lubing and rebuilding the bikes.

I was really worried that the lost time would have impacted my fitness, but if anything I felt better than ever and the bike ran smooth as butter, absolutely silent.

OK what has this taught me:

Rule 1: Don't go running, it does more harm than good and is not even enjoyable.

Rule 2 : Recovery really is important and you really do get fitter in between training so I must take more rest days.

Rule 3: A clean, well lubed / greased bike is so much nicer to ride than a dirty bike in need of a service, so I must take time out (rest days) to clean and service my bike more often.

Out of the above, I think Rule 1 is the one I'll be best at adhering to!

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I think there are many people who would disagree with your point one, myself included. I did 20 years of fairly injury free running and it was hugely enjoyable. I do happen to prefer cycling but am happy to run when the need arises
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    It was meant to be bit of a 'tongue in cheek' post and very much personal lessons learnt, I have never enjoyed running, always loved cycling, but after this, I have decided that running's not for me :-)
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I like rule 1..running is the devils work.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    +1 running is horrid.
  • another for agreeing with rule 1

Running is the work of the devil :twisted:
    When God gave out brains I thought he said trains, and I said "it's OK I already have one".
  • vmaxphil
    vmaxphil Posts: 20
    running is only needed when being chased :lol:
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I ran 100 yards alongside my son's bike last week and afterwards every joint was sore! Definitely to be avoided.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Life rule: You never see a smiling jogger.
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    agree rule 1 , have'nt run for a while due to injury and started cycling a year ago ( no pain) any way went for a run in the week as didnt have a lot of time and just to make a change. 3 miles ended up crippling my legs ( I cycle over 50 miles per week so legs should be fairly good). I think the running thing is all impact on the legs where as cycling little impact but still getting a good work out and agree you never see a smiling jogger.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Another hater of running here. No choice but to do some though, as I want to have another go at a triathlon and doing the run with little or no training last time was not pretty. That was the worst part of the bike section - the constant thought that I'd have to get off the bike and doing some running at some point.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well I do both. Not so much running now as want to get more into cycling.

IMO they are very different things. Cycling is fun whilst you are doing it, whereas running painful whist doing and is more about having achieved a goal, either a time /distance goal and/or a weight loss goal.

Running is much better for weight loss (I will not go into why that is).

A lot of people seem to feel they cannot run when they actually could and are fast to come up with reasons to dismiss it when it is mentioned.

You have to build up slowly with running. Cycling you could increase mileage massively and have only minor problems, but running will debilitate you if you start off doing too many miles, or suddenly increase them significantly :shock:
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I had to do some running at school and in the army. Short distances are fine, but I hate anything beyond a couple of minutes. I am sure, my body would adapt sooner or later, but I am enjoying cycling so much more, why should I ever run when I don't need to? Some people like cats, other people like dogs...
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Disagree with point 1 myself. I run regularly, just started getting into cycling (love it), and I can do up to around 10 miles on a fairly tough run. I've been running for about 11 years and have gone through bouts of injury so I am all too aware of the impact forces that go hand in hand with pounding the Tarmac.

Now, 18 months ago I made a change that literally turned my running on its head. Now I run injury free, do not suffer any aches or pains at all, and now enjoy my running considerably more than I ever have. I now run using a natural running technique and use Vibram FiveFingers.

The natural running discussion has become a massive topic in the running world over the last few years and now every shoe manufacturer sell several types of natural running shoes. For me, the Vibrams are the way to go because there is zero cushioning and so there is no risk of getting lazy and allowing yourself to heel strike. It does take several months to develop a strong natural running technique because all our lives we've been fooled into running using a heel strike technique and a pair of trainers that have huge chunks of foam at the back to absorb the impact forces. How ludicrous!

What I can say, which I think is more relevant to us cyclist peeps, is that I believe the biggest advantage to using a natural running technique with a proper natural running shoe such as the Vibrams is that you suddenly become more connected and more involved in the running process. Most people using normal running shoes just plod along the Tarmac mindlessly not giving any consideration to where they're going or where they are placing their feet. With natural shoes you suddenly have to concentrate all of the time, think about where you're placing your feet and feel the textures and contours of the surface under you. Suddenly a boring mundane run around the block becomes technical and I believe this is the biggest issue cyclists have with running. When we ride, we're tuned in to our bike. We're tuned in to the road, the terrain, the cars passing by, other cyclists, what gear we're in, the quality of the road surface and any imperfections that may be approaching that we have to avoid.
    Learn to run with a natural technique and not only will you be able to enjoy running injury free, the way the god lord intended (not smashing your heels onto the pavement a thousand times), but you will find that suddenly you have become connected to the whole running experience again.

For most of you guys you probably won't have the time or inclination to bother with learning a new running style which will take months to perfect, but for those who do I promise you will find the experience very very liberating indeed.

A very interesting video showing how a natural technique removes the dangerous impact forces from heel strike running. Jump to 2:30 in the video and after the demonstrations of the impact forces he talks about typical injuries....

http://youtu.be/7jrnj-7YKZE
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, best to avoid 'heel strike'.

I tried to change after a knee problem (caused by heel striking :( ) but as I do not run as much now I did not really look into it properly and just struggle by.

Anyone starting out or with a longer running 'career' in front of them should look into a more natural running style IMO.
    I might check it out again myself to be honest.