On-One Whippet

gjt
gjt Posts: 38
edited July 2013 in Your mountain bikes
So after a few beers and an internet shopping session I am now the proud owner of an On-One Whippet frame.

8906293564_c0de244b1e_z.jpg

I'll be building it up myself with most of the parts coming from my Cannondale Trail SL.

8906292012_19606ce947.jpg

I'll be keeping most of the parts from the Cannondale but will be updating the drivetrain to 1x10 so new chainring, rear shifter, cassette and rear mech. As I'm going 1x10 I'll also need a chain guide but haven't decided on one yet, it will have to be a direct mount so I'll probably go for the MRP 1x, any thoughts?

Tyres will be getting upgraded as soon as I have the cash, looking at Rocket Rons or Continental X Kings to save a bit of weight. I'll also be looking to upgrade the wheels at some point, probably ZTR Crests on Hope Pro 2's, but open to any recommendations for decent sub £300 wheelsets.

Still waiting for the new bits to arrive from Germany so the build will probably start in earnest next week with more photos to follow. In the meantime the old bits will be getting cleaned/greased/bled......

Here's the initial planned spec.........

Frame: On-One Whippet (20 inch)
Forks: Rockshox Reba RL 120mm
Bars: Raceface Evolve
Stem: Raceface Deus
Headset: FSA Orbit CE
Grips: Superstar Size Zero

Brakes: Avid Elixir 5, 160mm rotors

Shifters: Shimano SLX 10 Speed rear
Rear Mech: Shimano ZEE

Seat: Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow
Seat Post: Easton EA70
Seat Post Clamp: Hope QR

Cranks: Shimano SLX
Chainring: Hope 32t
Chain: KMC 10 Speed
Cassette: Shimano XT, 10 Speed
Pedals: Cranks Brother Candy 2 - Red & Black
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB71 Pressfit

Rims: DT Swiss XR400
Spokes: ACI DB Black
Hubs: SRAM X9 - White
Tyres: Hutchison Iguana

Comments

• Why zee mech instead of slx?
  • gjt
    Went for the Zee slightly out of curiosity and also because it just seemed to make sense for a 1x10 setup. There's not much weight difference (the Zee is apparently slightly lighter than the SLX) and with a shorter chain hopefully chain slap/slippage will be reduced. The reviews on this website and pinbike also helped to tip me towards the Zee....will be interesting to see how I get on with it.....
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Looks very nice, cant wait to see it built up.
  • Yay another Whippet :-) Welcome to the club.
    I am running a 1 x 10 set up on mine and I cannot recommend this chain guide highly enough http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=307
    It's what I'm using on mine and its great. Looks stunning, weighs nothing and the quality is excellent.
    Good luck with the build
    James
  • gjt
    James Q wrote:
    Looks very nice, cant wait to see it built up.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to building it up, will keep updated with photos.
    Yay another Whippet :-) Welcome to the club.
    I am running a 1 x 10 set up on mine and I cannot recommend this chain guide highly enough http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=307
    It's what I'm using on mine and its great. Looks stunning, weighs nothing and the quality is excellent.
    Good luck with the build
    James

That chain guide looks brilliant, will have to give it some serious consideration (although was hoping to spend a bit less.....as always :D )
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'm running a Zee Mech with just a bash - no guide at all. It's on my HT I've just finished, so it doesn't hit as much rough stuff as the FS, but I haven't lost the chain yet on the first three or four rides. I've tried steps and some small hits too just to make sure it is OK, and it has been so far. I like the Zee so much I'm thinking about going 1x10 on the FS too.

I was thinking about the Whipper, but went for a Scandal instead. Your should look ace when it is finished.
  • gjt
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I'm running a Zee Mech with just a bash - no guide at all. It's on my HT I've just finished, so it doesn't hit as much rough stuff as the FS, but I haven't lost the chain yet on the first three or four rides. I've tried steps and some small hits too just to make sure it is OK, and it has been so far. I like the Zee so much I'm thinking about going 1x10 on the FS too.

I was thinking about the Whipper, but went for a Scandal instead. Your should look ace when it is finished.

That's nice to know....it's what I was hoping for. Will probably still go for a chain guide as well as I don't fancy risking a dropped chain eating my frame!
  • gjt
    So I managed to find a bit of time today and got a few bits done on the build.

I cleaned the wheels, forks, seatpost stem and bars. I got the old crown race off and fitted the new the one. As you can see I've put all of those bits together and it's starting to take shape. The steerer tube needs cutting which I'll get round to at some point in the week. I've also somehow managed to round the brake pad pin on my rear brake caliper so I can't get my pads out, I got some tips off the guys on the workshop and tech forum so will have a stab at trying to remove it this week.

Other than that I've just got the chainset to clean, brakes to bleed and clean and then wait for the rest of the bits for the build to be delivered.

8928417011_f55fe42e93.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I do like a go whippet, this looks like it will be really good, keep it up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    whippet - real good
  • gjt
    So this little box arrived in the post today........

8969445455_4219f07412.jpg

....and here is its contents :D ......

8970639134_9a722d1b72.jpg

I can get cracking with the build this weekend (after a Saturday trip to Penmachno). There are just a few more things to be delivered (brake pads, pad pins, rotor bolts and chainring bolts). I also still need a chain guide, think I'll swing by Tweeks on the way back from Penmachno and pick up an MRP 1x
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Nice looking parts, cant wait to see this built up.
  • tv
    tv Posts: 338
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=362

How about this chainguide, great reviews and even better value for money!
  • gjt
    tv wrote:
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=362

How about this chainguide, great reviews and even better value for money!

Thanks for the tip tv......not sure that a bb mounted chain guide will work on a pressfit bb. Think I'm set on the MRP 1x, found it for £35 at Biketart......just need to get paid now!!
  • gjt
    Finished :D (almost, just need a chain guide and to trim the brake cables......but it's rideable!)

9049692341_ac5f55c260.jpg

To celebrate I took it to Penmachno

9049697329_1809535729.jpg

Loved the bike, the frame was stiff but fairly forgiving . The 1x10 setup worked a treat, glad I went for the 32 tooth chainring, I would have struggled on some of the hills with anything more. Stand-out piece of kit other than the frame has to be the rear mech, feels much better than the XT on the Canyon. It also does a really good job of keeping the chain on, didn't drop it once (which for Penmachno is pretty impressive).

Can't wait to get out on it again next weekend......
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I want! Seriously considering a fork upgrade (reba/sid) then move it all onto a new frame (a whippet!) in the next few months.

Few questions if ya don't mind!

Why did you choose 120mm? I was more considering a 100mm fork but probably because I prefer a racier bike. With regards to the headset, is it semi-integrated? - has cups that sit inside the frame and cartridge bearings. And the bottom bracket - you used a 'Shimano BB71 Pressfit', I'm guessing that's compatible with the BB92 standard then? All the different standards confuse the life out of me!
  • gjt
    Greer_ wrote:
    want! Seriously considering a fork upgrade (reba/sid) then move it all onto a new frame (a whippet!) in the next few months.

Few questions if ya don't mind!

Why did you choose 120mm? I was more considering a 100mm fork but probably because I prefer a racier bike. With regards to the headset, is it semi-integrated? - has cups that sit inside the frame and cartridge bearings. And the bottom bracket - you used a 'Shimano BB71 Pressfit', I'm guessing that's compatible with the BB92 standard then? All the different standards confuse the life out of me!

Greer, hopefully these answers help. You'll be buying a great frame if you do go for it.

Forks - I went for the 120mm forks as I had them on the Cannondale prior to the Whippet and I really like them so just swapped them over. Also they're plenty light enough (just over 1,500g) so suited the bike well.

Headset - It's an integrated headset with the cups set in the frame like you mention - I went for this one http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOCE/fsa ... ce_headset

Bottom bracket - This confused the life out of me, the guys at on-one pointed me in the right direction and I ended up with this http://www.bike-discount.de/?ac=pddetails&pdid=79456, still can't tell you how bb71 relates to pressfit 92 though :?

Loving the bike, it's had a few outings now and is holding up well, it's rapid up the hills and keeps you on your toes coming down. Only future upgrade will be to get some new wheels and tyres to lighten it up a bit (bike weighs a touch over 24lbs and the wheels and tyres weigh 8lbs alone)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Cheers for the reply! It is a gorgeous bike though I would like the build to be a bit lighter! I'm after new forks at the moment as well, so im just trying to work out if I'd get away with 100mm as I do love riding fast technical sections (I actually need to check if my current fork is 100mm or 120mm, pretty sure its the former!). Thanks for the help with the standards, was getting confused so glad im not the only one! Does your position feel okay when climbing/descending? Not placed too far forward? Thanks!
  • The Rookie
    Just for info, spotted a build thread for a whippet on another forum where they went 650b, all fitted no issues (obviously needs 650B forks!)

Loogs great, I'd be tempted with some form of chainguide though as when the chain wears and gets more flexible it is more likley to jump off......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gjt
    Greer_ wrote:
    Cheers for the reply! It is a gorgeous bike though I would like the build to be a bit lighter! I'm after new forks at the moment as well, so im just trying to work out if I'd get away with 100mm as I do love riding fast technical sections (I actually need to check if my current fork is 100mm or 120mm, pretty sure its the former!). Thanks for the help with the standards, was getting confused so glad im not the only one! Does your position feel okay when climbing/descending? Not placed too far forward? Thanks!

Greer - no worries for the answers - hope they help. Give us a shout if you need anything else.

The travel at 120mm feels fine and gets full use on the black runs at Llandegla and Coed-y-Brenin, I suppose it spends on where you're planning on riding the bike.
    The top tube is fairly long compared to other bikes so the riding position is fairly stretched compared to my Canyon, ideally for lots of climbing and getting the power down. Handles fairly well going down too. For reference I'm 6ft 3in and went for the large (20in).
    The Rookie wrote:
    Just for info, spotted a build thread for a whippet on another forum where they went 650b, all fitted no issues (obviously needs 650B forks!)
    Loogs great, I'd be tempted with some form of chainguide though as when the chain wears and gets more flexible it is more likley to jump off......

Yeah I've had a look at a couple of those 650b builds, it's something I might consider when it comes time to buy new wheels. I'm interested in trying something with bigger wheels, I was originally looking at the Planet-X Dirty Harry 29er but as that meant new wheels, forks, tyres all in one go I decided to go for the Whippet and transfer from my old Cannondale.

Completely agree with what you've said about the chain guide, I'm going to order one of these http://www.biketart.com/260630/products ... white.aspx
    when I next get paid :D Lost the chain twice at Llandegla last week, luckily it dropped crank-side as opposed to bb side.
  • The Rookie
    Someone mentioned very rapid wear on the MRP guide, you may want to look at the E13 direct mount....