Going to spec new winter bike tomorrow

neilrobins
neilrobins Posts: 102
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
The frame and forks will be the Dolan Preffisio and the wheel set will be the fulcrum Quattros but all else is up for negotiation except I only have 600 for Gruppo etc. currently run SRAM on my summer bike, a mix of rival and apex but I have no affiliation to any of the top 3.
Any bargains out there?

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Dolan do a lot of deals from time to time on complete packages, wouldn't that be a worthwhile wait ?
    I think they do some cracking looking bikes.
    Living MY dream.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Keep a close watch on the "Road Parts" section of the classifieds on this site.

I recently completed a winter build around a Forme Loncliffe frame (bought from Paul Milnes Cycles Ebay shop for £200). It is Alu with carbon forks and alu steerer and has eyelets for full front and rear mudguards.

I managed to pick up some almost new 105 STI's, rear mech and a Shimano R565 compact crankset in one bundle. Sourced the 105 front mech and Hollowtech BB separately. That whole package came to less than £250. I already had the brake callipers supplied with the frame but I'm sure you could get some 105 callipers for a good price.

When I add in all the other bits (cassette, stem, bars, seat post,cables etc) - the complete bike cost me less than your budget for the group set. BTW I already had the wheelset from a previous bike. This is what the final build looks like.

8643132350_7b6ee8aa52_b.jpg
  • neilrobins
    VTech wrote:
    Dolan do a lot of deals from time to time on complete packages, wouldn't that be a worthwhile wait ?
    I think they do some cracking looking bikes.
    Dolan are spot on but the frame/forks and wheels are already sourced so its just the other bits, wanted brand new rather than used as it will be with me for many years otherwise I would be trawling the parts section..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Shouldn't a winter build have fll length mudguards, look like a summer training build to me. Still the advise given is spot on.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • neilrobins
    Shouldn't a winter build have fll length mudguards, look like a summer training build to me. Still the advise given is spot on.
    Full mud guards already with the frame ready for the British winter or August whichever comes first
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    neilrobins wrote:
    Full mud guards already with the frame ready for the British winter or August whichever comes first

Hi Neil

I think cycleclinic was referring to the pic I posted above of my "winter" build. Truth is that after the build was completed, I enjoyed the ride so much that I decided to use the bike for year round riding - hence the pic above of the bike in its "summer" state. I will be fitting guards once the crappy weather looms - although it's getting more difficult to define any clear transition between seasons now.

I reiterate my point that you can pick up some new or almost new bargains in the Classifieds. It could save you big bucks over the retail cost of a brand new groupset.