Making the change from 3x9 to 2x10

stump.jumper
stump.jumper Posts: 28
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
After many people telling me that changing from 3x9 to 2x10 is worth the hassle, I thought it was a good idea to change the set-up.
I would like to know what I would need to make my bike 2x10, like new cassette etc but I dont know exactly what I need. I have recently bought a 1 month old custom stump jumper carbon so I don't know what the exact specs of my bike is, all i know is that the rear derailleur and cassette are SRAM and the and front derailleur and chain-set are Shimano. I was hoping to go for some SRAM components or what ever is advised.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You'll need a new RH shifter, rear mech, cassette and chain at least. The rear mech and shifter have to match brands and the cassette/chain etc can be anything that's 10 speed. Not worth the hassle IMO though!
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I would probably just lose one ring and go 2x9 if anything. Saves the bother of messing with new cassettes and shifters etc. I ride 1x9 currently with no real problems.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, go 2x9, make sure you are using an 11-34 cassette rather than an 11-32 for the extra 'half a gear'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_ wrote:
    You'll need a new RH shifter, rear mech, cassette and chain at least. The rear mech and shifter have to match brands and the cassette/chain etc can be anything that's 10 speed. Not worth the hassle IMO though!

Will I need a LH shifter or can it be set up so it doesn't go to far with the original shifter?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, just use the stops
  • stops?
  • The Rookie
    The stops on the front mech, it will stop it overshifiting even if you are silly enough to try and select 'third' at the front.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Just to add clarification just incase its needed, the limit screws on the front mech. The "H" and "L" screws. This is what was meant by stops. Adjust them accordingly so it effectively shifts twice. :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And by shifts twice, he means shifts once.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One. From one ring to the other. One shift. Two shifts would be three rings.
    You could even count on your fingers for that - one, two, three ....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    2 or 1, the title said 2 so i said 2.

3 rings to 2 rings, which translates as 2 front shifts to 1. Simples

And it's just the 'h' that needs adjusting.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    New fornt chainset will need all the indexing....a double specific may need H and L adjusting as they will usually be set equidistance either side of the chainline.
  • 97th choice
    Not if he's going 2x9 as suggested, just fit a bash.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I have recently bought a 1 month old custom stump jumper carbon

Then it will already be 2x10... :?
  • njee20 wrote:
    I have recently bought a 1 month old custom stump jumper carbon

Then it will already be 2x10... :?

The guy who did the custom before I purchased it wanted the 3x9 so it has got 3 rings
  • This is what I have currently got.
    Any suitable chain set replacements?
    up to £150.
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    I agree, go 2x9, make sure you are using an 11-34 cassette rather than an 11-32 for the extra 'half a gear'.

yeah this.

I cant see that it is worth the cost of going 10spd for what you are doing, maybe if buying new or if your chainset was worn out.

Now going 1x10 theres an option (and then the extra cog on the cassette can go 36t), but for now it doesnt seem worth spending money on. Sure go 2x9. and then maybe later 1x10.
  • The Rookie
    This is what I have currently got.
    up to £150.
    Just replave the rings on the cranks you have.....
  • Chunkers1980
    Or do nothing and ride the thing!
  • This is what I have currently got.
    up to £150.
    Just replave the rings on the cranks you have.....

The cranks are just looking worn. Would just rather buy the whole thing.
  • Chunkers1980
    You want new cranks as they look worn? Not because they are?
  • 97th choice
    Its one month old, and the finish has been cosmetically worn by your shoes. A new crankset will do that too.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    This is what I have currently got.
    up to £150.

I think you've been had - that's an OEM chainset not a custom build and there's no way those rings are a month old, that bike looks a lot older than is claimed. 2010 I'd say without seeing the whole bike.