BR top 100 movies

goonz
goonz Posts: 3,106
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
Right so on the back of the IMDB highest rated movies which rightly or wrongly rated Shawshank as numero uno, causing a few murmurs on BR, I thought lets have a BR top 100 movies list.

Will be interesting to see what the BR faithful find to be their top movie.
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,394
    How does this work? One pick or as many as you like?

I don't have to compile my top 100 do I? :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • goonz
    Errr i'm not actually sure, I did think it but clearly not planned properly!
  • seanoconn
    May I suggest 1-5 picks. And a volunteer ( goonz ) to count the votes/nominations and arrange in descending order. :D
  • goonz
    Sounds good. Go!
  • seanoconn
    Only 5 picks! This is gonna give me a headache! :lol:

963BDAA2-C11C-4EFB-B91F-E56425447548-626-0000010B7B9D6EA9_zpsa9b952e6.jpg

Hooper:You were on the Indianapolis?
    Brody:What happened?
    Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail fin. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark will go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

More to follow :D
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    American Beauty
    Pi
    Se7en
    Fight Club
    Reservois Dogs
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • Dazza2280
    Dazza2280 Posts: 156
    The Dark Knight
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Grown-ups
    Rocky (1, 2 and 6)
    The Shining
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    1. Usual Suspects
    2. Lawrence of Arabia
    3. Leon
    4= Coming to America
    4= Trading Places

Honrable mention - Ronin
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Here's my Desert Island DVDs.

Double Indemnity

4286320d0b206ac25b2398e4e573ce.jpg

Gun Crazy

c841ffffb4a66ef16c0378fac476ff.jpg

Night of the Hunter

b738581d5fcdb7045dbfa9282e4ab9.jpg

Repulsion

d44119090e0902170786a0e11e2821.jpg

The Wicker Man

f949fc59219b22b1fac45b444f50e8.jpg
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Performance
    Bronco Bullfrog
    Good Bad & The Ugly
    Nil By Mouth
    Blue Velvet
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If you want to check out any Pixar films for consideration, Rick Astley says you can borrow any of his. Except for one - he's never gonna give you Up.
  • seanoconn
    bompington wrote:
    If you want to check out any Pixar films for consideration, Rick Astley says you can borrow any of his. Except for one - he's never gonna give you Up.
    Jokes you make up yourself are always the best :roll: :lol:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    And in other news: for the first time ever an internet forum user has just posted a joke he didn't make up himself!

PS isn't a grumpy putdown a bit of an anticlimax for the fabled 1000th post?

EDIT: OK, OK, I didn't do my research. Because to do that would have been REALLY sad.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Grosse Point Blank
    Before Sunrise
    The Blues Brothers
    The Big Lebowski
    A Bridge Too Far
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Gangs of New York
    Inception
    Snatch
    The Fighter
    Home Alone
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    In no particular order and until someone posts something and I think, 'Oh, I had forgotten about that one.'

Shawshank Redemption
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Zulu
    Life of Brian
    The Four Feathers.

My list may alter tomorrow, depending on mood.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I would also give Laurel and Hardy a category of their own for the pleasure they gave me when I was a kid, in particular, 'Bonnie Scotland'.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    In no particular order -

The Getaway, Steve Mcqueen.
    Whisky Galore.
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly.
    Get Carter, Michael Caine.
    The Train.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Life of Brian
    Goodfellas
    Dr Strangelove or how I learnt to stop worrying and love the bomb
    Million Dollar Baby
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    seanoconn wrote:
    Only 5 picks! This is gonna give me a headache! :lol:

963BDAA2-C11C-4EFB-B91F-E56425447548-626-0000010B7B9D6EA9_zpsa9b952e6.jpg

Hooper:You were on the Indianapolis?
    Brody:What happened?
    Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail fin. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark will go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

More to follow :D

Also my number one movie and favourite scene.

Others are..............

Oldboy
    Dawn of the Dead `79
    King Kong `33
    Phantasm

This is always hard to do and always changing.Tomorrow will be different again.Though i still rate the above extremely highly.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    The Thomas Crown Affair (the original, with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway)
    The Maltese Falcon
    Pulp Fiction
    L.A. Confidential
    The Magnificent Seven
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Forgive me for being a pretentious bellend but i'm going to suffer the indignity of posting 5 foreign language films (including some French):

Amores Perros
    The Lives of Others
    Tell No One
    A Prophet
    Biutiful (I think I love the trailer more though, and it's nice to see Bardem in a different role but still smashing it)

Not necessarily my absolute favourite films but it would be a boring thread if we all posted the same ones, eh. The Usual Suspects is one that sticks out that has been mentioned already. Keep them coming!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    IMDB also has the 100 best picked by Time magazine in 2005 (alphabetical order, no ranking):

http://www.imdb.com/list/Kad6cGvk8aE/

Some interesting choices there (a bit less populist than the IMDB 250). Five I might go for (at least today):

Chungking Express
    Brazil
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Searchers
    Some Like it Hot
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Trainspotting, From Russia With Love, Ong Bak, Vertigo, Life of Brian
  • seanoconn
    Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark

4B510F76-5EDC-4214-94CD-7B85183A8618-626-00000144ADE507AB_zpsb656e1bf.jpg

"Snakes! I hate snakes!"
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    City of God
    Dr Strangelove
    Pulp Fiction
    Fight Club
    Apocalypse Now
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    In no particular order and with no particular thought

Get Carter
    Saturday Night Sunday Morning
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
    Raging Bull
    Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid

Missed the cut

Crouching Tiger
    Dr Strangelove
    A Better Tomorrow
    Zulu
    Italian Job

Oe nobody will pick (probably for good reason) I really like is ID and as a family film The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe stands
    Comparison with classics like ChittyChitty Bang Bang, Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines and other great films thst used to be on every Xmas when I was a kid.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    In the name of the Father
    Toy Story
    Goodfellas
    Leon
    True Romance

(left out Donnie Brasco, Dead Man's Shoes and Star Wars)
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Heat - superb acting, action, etc. etc. and it's got de Niro in it.

Once - great music, and the chicks dig a guy in touch with love story films......

Meet the Parents - hilarious, and it's got de Niro in it

Aliens - looking dated now, but jaw dropping in 1986

Saving Private Ryan - by far the best, most realistic portrayal of WW2 yet.

(Did I mention Heat?)
  • seanoconn
    The Empire Strikes Back

30D3B5D0-B954-477F-9685-2D70F4CCB284-121-00000000A419BB69_zps959ddcda.jpg

smiley-sw017.gif