Replacing threaded headset

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in Workshop
Rebuilding an old steel bike (probably as a fixie - still trying to decide), anyway as I have stripped the bike I have realised I should replace most parts. Just removed the old headset and think I have determined a suitable replacement but what about the Fork bearing housing - does this come with a headset and if not where can I buy one - I assume is makes sense to replace this at the same time...

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    it comes with the headset... fitting it is a patient job of mallet and a pipe length
    left the forum March 2023
  • Neil_aky
    OK thanks, the frame and forks are getting a paint job first...

How do I determine correct size - I thought 1" but I have just found out that there are 1 1/8" as well.

Just when I think I have it nailed.
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    If it's and old steel bike with a threaded headset, it's 1"
  • ugo.santalucia
    you need to make sure you get a threaded one and of the correct stack height... best thing is probably just to replace the balls in yours with some grade 100 from simply bearings
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    you need to make sure you get a threaded one and of the correct stack height... best thing is probably just to replace the balls in yours with some grade 100 from simply bearings

+1, there's unlikely to be much wrong with the headset itself.
  • Neil_aky
    Purely looking to replace it for cosmetic reasons - looks like its been scraped and painted over a few times in its life and damaged by using incorrect spanner etc. Now that I've decided on a nice new paint job, more and more components are not looking nice enough to go back on...

I know none of this makes financial sense, but I am learning and I am looking forward to riding a bike I've built.

Thanks for the quick responses.
  • ugo.santalucia
    measure the stack height and find something similar... stronglight ones are good quality at an affordable price, while if you want to spend money Campagnolo Record are excellent and not outrageously expensive