The Scott CR1 SL Thread

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited July 2019 in Commuting chat
No, I didn't buy one, but thought I'd start a thread on behalf of everyone who did to prevent the Bargains thread from being derailed.

You're welcome! :D

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    This thread is useless without pictures
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Sketchley wrote:
    This thread is useless without pictures
    This kind of thing?
    56773.jpg
  • shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    CR120SL20CD202012-202020Speed20Compact_zps11284c8c.jpg
    no thats a speedster
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I know. I was being mischievous about trying to get Sketchley to kit out a CR1 with the bits from his old hybrid to offend the purists. Closest picture I could find.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm struggling to get excited about this frame. Is it that good? I think the weird BB puts me off a bit. Anybody post a link to the deal to save me looking in other thread?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm struggling to get excited about this frame. Is it that good? I think the weird BB puts me off a bit. Anybody post a link to the deal to save me looking in other thread?

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/frames ... 12-p194662

Its a good frame. Not everyone's cup of tea and it's now about three years old. However, before Cervelo pushed the R5ca and everyone else followed suit with hyper light bikes it was one of the lightest frames available.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Whilst I know the BB isn't one of the more common ones, I don't see it as being much of an issue either. I bought it because I struggled to see that I was going to be able to buy a frame of this quality for anything close to this price.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Yeah, good plan to not totally swamp the Bargains thread with Scott frame chat and will I / won't I's
    I'm a 'not yet' :
    Originally I think I wanted the Addict SL - a few reasons,
    a) It's the lightest and raciest (irrelevant to me but I'm a sucker for pro-team equipment)
    b) I'm probably at the edge of the 54/M CR1 being small although I'm sure that could be fixed by a long'ish stem or careful seatpost choice. The
    c) Takes std BB not the fancy press-fit : good or bad thing ? Not sure - new & fancy sounds good but I'm not sure if the Shimano press-fit BB91 has issues in the wame way that I've seen FSA press-fit BB users reporting.
    c) CR1 SL BB, BB91 will need tooling to swap-out / maintain.

+'s for the CR1 SL
    a) Newer by 3 years
    b) better suited to the real-world riding on iffy Scottish roads - yeah probably ?
    c) Geo better for a middle-aged man sometimes suffering from back pain ?
    d) Comes with the BB as part of the deal - Addict would need one bought (only abou £20 but still an extra expense)

Arrg, heck double-darn.
    An Addict SL has just (re)appeared on their website - maybe someone on here has decided that the DO need both of their testicles after all or they've swapped to the CR1.

I'd contacted the shop asking if they had any deals on CR1-suitable posts (31.6 so not super common. They said no (I was kinda angling for a nice offer from them) and I'd said that originally I was swithering over the Addict but appeared to miss that option.

WHAT DO I DO !

Will need to ignore pain by death / removal of testicle for buying any new frame, do I go newer shinier CR SL or older / racier / lighter Addict SL

Also I know that myself + at least 1 other has put in a flubit request for a deal : that on the CR1 SL and if that comes through with a good saving (£50'ish ?) then maybe thats the choice made.

oohoo, another frame appeared or at least I hadn't spotted - fortunately for my indecisiveness it's not available as a medium + it's more expensive, the team HTC Addict, very nice though.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    What is the crack with the BB - press fit just mean you need to take it to an LBS to have it changed.....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    Daniel B wrote:
    What is the crack with the BB - press fit just mean you need to take it to an LBS to have it changed.....?

Not necessarily but you will probably need the tool to get the old one out
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Woohoo delivery due Monday. Thinking ultegra mechanical groupset at the moment, there's good deals on Di2 but I'm not convinced by the aesthetic on non-integrated frames. Having never even considered carbon finishing kits before its hard to justify the price of some bars and stems!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    I got an email saying it's going to get delivered today (Friday 31st May :D)
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • daniel_b
    PorlyWorly wrote:

When did you place your order pw?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    I'm thinking mechanical Dura ace with 3t kit in black and White and a fizik saddle.

Bought some fulcrum racing 3's in the week so they will go on but they are black/red so de-stickering might be order of the day.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I'm thinking mechanical Dura ace with 3t kit in black and White and a fizik saddle.

Bought some fulcrum racing 3's in the week so they will go on but they are black/red so de-stickering might be order of the day.

Very nice! If I wasn't sticking with Campag I think it would have to be Dura Ace. I know it's a great groupset, but I'm just not a fan of the look of Ultegra. I'm still weighing up what to do. I know I want Chorus and my choice is paying around £800 for it from Ribble or taking up the offer of a lightly used 2010 set for a lot less. I'm thinking the extra might be worth it for completely unworn gear that comes with a warranty. Any thoughts?

I was also planning on 3T kit, as I like what I already use (although would go Ergosum over Ergonova this time), but Ritchey is a possibility too.

Wheel wise I'm tempted to stick with the Campagnolo theme and the saddle will always be a Spesh Romin for me. I'd have been tempted to go white saddle with white tape, but I already have the saddle in black.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Daniel B wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

When did you place your order pw?
    Ordered at 15:20 on Tuesday (28th)
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • mrbrightside

Very nice! If I wasn't sticking with Campag I think it would have to be Dura Ace. I know it's a great groupset, but I'm just not a fan of the look of Ultegra. I'm still weighing up what to do. I know I want Chorus and my choice is paying around £800 for it from Ribble or taking up the offer of a lightly used 2010 set for a lot less. I'm thinking the extra might be worth it for completely unworn gear that comes with a warranty. Any thoughts?

I was also planning on 3T kit, as I like what I already use (although would go Ergosum over Ergonova this time), but Ritchey is a possibility too.

Wheel wise I'm tempted to stick with the Campagnolo theme and the saddle will always be a Spesh Romin for me. I'd have been tempted to go white saddle with white tape, but I already have the saddle in black.

This will be my 'best bike' so I think dura ace is justified. I would love to go Ui2 or try Campagnolo but thing the DA is good but expensive option. There is a good weight saving to be had with campagnolo hey.

Will check out the Ergosum kit, but like you say ritchey is very good alternative. I did wonder If I'd be better cancelling the frame just buying the DA bike at £3k (or similar) by the time I'd finished messing about.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    After sleeping on it last night I've just taken the plunge and bought a CR1. I hope I've done the right thing! It's the first time I've purchased just a frame so I'm coming at this entirely without experience, although I have swapped over groupsets and finishing kit etc, so really just BB I have no experience of.
    What do I need to know about the BB, also which chainset is suitable? I will be putting Ultegra groupset on but will probably need to buy a different chainset as I've only got a FSA Gossamer.
  • meanredspider
    Just got the dispatch email.

I think any Shimano HT II chainset will be fine. The BB is supplied
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Oh man, that is a crazy bargain!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Roastie wrote:
    Oh man, that is a crazy bargain!

Yeah, I just hope they run out of stock soon!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not that I need another bike but I do have a friend looking for a first road bike, this could be a perfect build.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mrbrightside
    I've just had a call, mine will be delivered Monday! The chap at Westbrook was saying they have 80 orders today alone! That's £40k of turn over alone, I'm guessing this will be a good week for those guys.

Any who the reason they called was reference my question on the BB, any new type shimano hollowtec type crankset will fit if it is the model with spindle on the drive side. BB comes ready installed.
  • daniel_b
    Had despatch e-mail today also.

Bugger is i'm in France for 10 days, so really hope my brother, who is house sitting for me, is in when they call, otherwise it may get returned to westbrook.... :-(

Be interested to hear whether the bb and headset come fitted into the frame.
    Anyone know what courier they are using?
    I am hoping not tnt.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    Mine's being delivered Monday. Must be good business because it's so easy - much easier than supplying built-up bikes that need assembly and checking.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Holy cow. I wasn't gonna. But 500 quid for that frameset? That's crazy.

*runs off to chat to piggy bank.

(Edit): WHERE THE DAMN HELL ARE THE GEOMETRY MEASUREMENTS!?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • daniel_b
    davis wrote:

Look in the bargains thread, I put them in there, only a few pages back.
    And don't forget quidco or top cashback to bring it down to around 475.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davis
    Daniel B wrote:
    davis wrote:

Look in the bargains thread, I put them in there, only a few pages back.
    And don't forget quidco or top cashback to bring it down to around 475.

BLAST YOU VILE MAN!!!

Ahem. How tall are you, if I may ask? I'm thinking I want a 56. (about 5foot10, average in every [limb] dimension)
    (Edit): It's looking like a 54, actually.
  • daniel_b
    18863_original_1.jpgfound it, despite being on the slowest wlan on a ferry France bound

I am 5ft 10, 34 inseam though, so short torso.
    Plumped for a 54. Spoke to the shop and they seemed to agree.
    Still amazed they have only sold out of 2 sizes. Guess the mass populus write it off as soon as they realise it needs building up?

My 56 Felt f70 has the same top tube length as the 56cr1. And as I feel a tad stretched on that wanted the shorter top tube, reasonjng that I can push the saddle back/fit a longer stem if I need to extend it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davis
    Thanks very much. I don't believe I've ever typed in my address and credit card details that quickly....