newbie innertube blunder..doh

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I have been carrying a tube around on rides as per advice but today realised it would have been quite useless if I needed to use it.Turns out the valve is a 42 when with 30mm rims i needed a 60mm one.
So if you,ve changed your wheels just make sure you have the right tube.Lesson learned.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Good advice. Whilst we are on, went out on a club ride this morning, someone punctured, bitch tires to remove/refit, replacement tube is useless because it's been patched and leaks from the patch!

Lesson #2 - if you're going to carry a replacement tube, make sure it doesn't leak if it's one you've patched.

Thankfully as it was a club run, there were plenty of spare tubes, but it added more time to the repair.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Bit of a noob question but are patched tubes likely to fail. I use park tools glue less patches but have yet to use a repaired one.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Dowtcha wrote:
    Bit of a noob question but are patched tubes likely to fail. I use park tools glue less patches but have yet to use a repaired one.

No, theyre not likely to fail - but its 'structure' has been compromised somewhat and some patches/glues are better than others - there are cheap kits you can buy for a few quid and the glue is only slightly more adhesive than water.

Also if you do a repair at the side of the road you may be in a hurry and not make the best job of it.

Thats a good call OP about the valve sizes - well spotted.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got 42mm valve tubes at home as well as 60mm tubes and keep spare 60's in the saddle bag for on the road replacements but use the 42s when at home as the track pump can inflate them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.