Bearing replacement Switch Evo Hub

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Put my summer wheels on the mtb yesterday (Superstar Stans Crest rims with switch evo hubs) when tightening the rear qr the back wheel became hard to turn and turning the axle the bearings felt rough. I stripped the axle from the hub and removed the freehub. There are two bearings in the hub which feel smooth and fine, but there also seems to be a bearing inside the freehub body which is a bit notchy. I've stopped at this point as I'm not sure what to do next. I've emailed Superstar for some advice but wondered if you had any ideas about my next move?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The freehub bearings rarely fail as they have little load on them....but if they are, knock them out and replace, or SS will do a replacement whole freehub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Thanks, I've emailed SS and they're sympathetic but don't think it will be warranty, which I wasn't after anyway. They sent me a bearing list and a service sheet so will order some bearings and have a go. That said the bearings seem far smoother after putting a few miles into them?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    you can pop the covers off the bearings to see if they need regreasing

they may just be a bit stiff if they havent been used for a while
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Might have been some damp in them and they have rusted inside the bearing. If thats the case they will free off but will die soon so I would order the bearings now. This guy on ebay does quality kits for the Evo hubs they arent cheap but they are very good and hes always helpful with advice. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KaTec-Bikes
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Yes you're probably right, I'll remember that next time before I put them away. I'll check out that seller on ebay. Thanks for the advice.