quick question about the garmin edge 810

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
hi all
Thinking about getting an egdge 810, i have read that it can connect to your smart phone, but im a little in the dark if it can be connected wirelessly to a laptop, im guessing it can be, but cant find anywhere that says for sure. I am guessing i can also make up a route on the laptop and move it to the edge 800? P lease for give the stupid questions but i am a bit of a technophobe. I have just sent back a Mio 300, as it seemed pretty good in principle and i really liked the supprise me feature, however when i came to use the thing it was nothing short of useless, telling me to turn when there was no turn to make, unless i wanted to try riding through a wall!!! telling me to uturn when i was still on route. So im hoping that the garmin will be much better.
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• simonm8
    simonm8 Posts: 25
    May not help much, Havant got my Garmin with me to check.. But i normally create my routes on Garmin connect then from the garmin app on iphone. Click on send to device. Thats works for me if i can't be bothered to plug the garmin into the computer. to be honest i didnt think to try connecting the Garmin through bluetooth to computer.. I will try tomorrow if i remember and let you know.. i did use the bluetooth feature 2 weekends ago when i done the london revolution, so that family could see how far round i was and and how i was getting on during the ride.. so thats a good feature
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I have an 800 not an 810 so I haven't tried it, but:

Yes you can upload a route that you have created on a web site like ridewithgps.com, bikeroutetoaster.com or connect.garmin.com, upload it to the 800/810 and then have turn by turn directions to follow.

The purpose of wireless Bluetooth connection is 3 fold :
    1) to give live updates to friends/family where you are whilst on a ride,
    2) to get live weather forecasts based on your current location
    3) to save you plugging into a computer by uploading the ride data at the end of your ride via mobile phone network

The Garmin wireless functionality I assume is designed to talk to a Garmin app - as in a mobile phone app. I don't know whether it would be any use paired to PC.

If you have a PC then why not plug in the USB cable? You will need to recharge the Garmin anyway and the USB will do that. If you don't want to run the Garmin app on a mobile phone and pair an 810 with it, then buy an 800 and save money. The 800 has the same features apart from Bluetooth.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    hi all
    Thinking about getting an egdge 810, i have read that it can connect to your smart phone, but im a little in the dark if it can be connected wirelessly to a laptop, im guessing it can be, but cant find anywhere that says for sure. I am guessing i can also make up a route on the laptop and move it to the edge 800? P lease for give the stupid questions but i am a bit of a technophobe. I have just sent back a Mio 300, as it seemed pretty good in principle and i really liked the supprise me feature, however when i came to use the thing it was nothing short of useless, telling me to turn when there was no turn to make, unless i wanted to try riding through a wall!!! telling me to uturn when i was still on route. So im hoping that the garmin will be much better.
    Thanks for any advice.

I have an 810. Yes it connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth through the Garmin Connect app. This enables you to do LiveTracking allowing selected others to monitor your ride. There's no need to connect to a PC as as soon as your ride is completed, it is uploaded to the Garmin Connect site. You can then log on to your PC and edit the ride title if you wish. From the PC you can send courses to your device. I use the Garmin maps and have never encountered any problems either on my previous 705 or the 810. I managed a 100 mile plus route on unknown roads with no failure in navigation.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I would think hard about whether you should buy a Garmin 810 if you're a technophobe to be honest, I have the 800 and love it but it has certainly not been straightforward getting it to do what I want. Have a read of this and decide, I think the 810 is similar to use.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/category/cycling/garmin-edge-800/
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • thanks for all the info guys, i will think carefully before buying anything.