rockrider 8.1 tyre width query

hairo786
hairo786 Posts: 13
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Just spent some cash buying a pair of Maxxis Minion folding 26 x 2.35 DHF tyres....... after I have paid for it, I just thought hang on a sec, will the bloody tyres be to wide for the rock rider 8.1 which currently has a set of 26 x 2.0 tyres on as standard;

Did I just make a silly mistake or am I ok?

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you have a ruler? If so why not measure and find out? you'll want at least 2.5" gap between chainstays, seatstays and forks, as the tread will be further out on the larger tyres measure across your existing 2.0 tread face and it will be about right. I presume you have checked the rims will be wide enough for the tyres......

Rather inapropriate tyres for a pure XC bike though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    Maxxis tyres come up quite narrow, so you may get away with it. Like Beginner says though the rim width may be an issue not just clearance. Having said that a mate of mine ran 2.5 minions or rims that weren't rated for a 2.5 tyre and didn't have any issues. Still, something to consider.
  • hairo786
    hairo786 Posts: 13
    Do you have a ruler? If so why not measure and find out? you'll want at least 2.5" gap between chainstays, seatstays and forks, as the tread will be further out on the larger tyres measure across your existing 2.0 tread face and it will be about right. I presume you have checked the rims will be wide enough for the tyres......

Rather inapropriate tyres for a pure XC bike though!

Saw a pair on ebay for real cheap... so I purchased them without thinking... I am 100% sure the front wheel is going to be ok (tried and test by past users). Its the rear that might cause me issues if any, but i do know now after doing some research that these tyres are actually slimmer then advertised.

thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thet are slimmer, about a 2.2" (especailly on a narrower rim), the 2.5" was to allow some mud clearance space.

If they were cheap, then fine, worst case you sell them on!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.