Knee pain - do you always unclip same side?

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi

I started cycling last August, straight onto SPD's. After a short while I began to get a little pain in my left knee so decided to go for a bike fit. I think that helped a little but the ache still remained. I then bought a new bike and the ache was more noticeable, so again went for a bike fit. Although in fairness my longest ride is now at 93 miles and my overall weekly/monthly mileage is much higher it occurred to me the other day that I ALWAYS unclip my left foot first so wondered if the constant twisting of that knee is the cause??. I'm going to attempt to remember to alternate feet a little but wondered what others do and whether they have had similar issues?

Cheers

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Yes I do, always the left first and yes I do get more grief with my left knee. In fact its playing up a bit as we speak. However I am not sure that the issues are related as you are unclipping so few times vs pedal revs. Unless you have your cleats so tight that it is a massive effort to unclip I shouldn't imagine its a huge factor. Knee pain is however, very annoying!
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Changing from SPD's to Speedplay X-series pedals six years ago completely ended my previous chronic knee pain. COM - PLETELY. Any mention of knee difficulties on here always brings out the Bike Fit Evangelists, but since you've already gone that route...follow the light to Speedplays, brother.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you need to eliminate all these things (one at a time otherwise you won't know what is affecting it) and there will be more:

saddle could be too low or high

cleat is not straight in regard to your pedaling gate

cleat is not under the ball of your foot correctly so rotates when leg extends

saddle position

it could also be from putting too much pressure on that leg when starting off (its not a velodrome track sprint so don't wear out your leading knee), is it your leading leg?

try a set of flats or time pedals that give all or some float, it could even be the spds shoes that are causing this.......
  • supermurph09
    estampida wrote:
    you need to eliminate all these things (one at a time otherwise you won't know what is affecting it) and there will be more:

saddle position

it could also be from putting too much pressure on that leg when starting off (its not a velodrome track sprint so don't wear out your leading knee), is it your leading leg?

try a set of flats or time pedals that give all or some float, it could even be the spds shoes that are causing this.......

I had a bike fit so all this should be correct, Speedplay could be an (expensive) option but worth it if the pain stops.
  • plumpy wrote:
    Changing from SPD's to Speedplay X-series pedals six years ago completely ended my previous chronic knee pain. COM - PLETELY. Any mention of knee difficulties on here always brings out the Bike Fit Evangelists, but since you've already gone that route...follow the light to Speedplays, brother.

+1. Exactly the same for me. I used Shimano 105's...knee pain. I used Time iClics 2's (good) but still got knee pain eventually. In the end i got f*cked off, bit the bullet and bought Speedplays. No knee pain whatsoever in 6 months.

Superb pedals.
  • estampida wrote:

saddle position

I had a bike fit so all this should be correct, Speedplay could be an (expensive) option but worth it if the pain stops.

£90 here

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/compon ... ads#251808
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You want to unclip on the left - you dont want to be taking the right foot out and then falling into the traffic.
    If your left foot slips - you'd fall away from traffic.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    yes I have the same problem, I always clip out of the left leg and I get pain in that knee, quite interested to read about the Speedplay's as not come across them before
  • supermurph09
    cougie wrote:
    You want to unclip on the left - you dont want to be taking the right foot out and then falling into the traffic.
    If your left foot slips - you'd fall away from traffic.

Great point, I guess my self preservation had already kicked in. I'll do a search on Speedplay pedals.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Hi

I started cycling last August, straight onto SPD's. After a short while I began to get a little pain in my left knee so decided to go for a bike fit. I think that helped a little but the ache still remained. I then bought a new bike and the ache was more noticeable, so again went for a bike fit. Although in fairness my longest ride is now at 93 miles and my overall weekly/monthly mileage is much higher it occurred to me the other day that I ALWAYS unclip my left foot first so wondered if the constant twisting of that knee is the cause??. I'm going to attempt to remember to alternate feet a little but wondered what others do and whether they have had similar issues?

Cheers

Is the knee pain posterior/anterior or lateral?
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    I've had pain in the left knee, and always unclip on the right (at this point I don't think I could unclip on the left if I wanted to.
  • supermurph09
    pride4ever wrote:
    Hi

Cheers

Hi, its the front part of knee (the bit I see when I look down, just before the knee cap). As you can tell I'm no doctor!! :oops:
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    pride4ever wrote:
    Hi

Cheers

Hi, its the front part of knee (the bit I see when I look down, just before the knee cap). As you can tell I'm no doctor!! :oops:

Could be related to VMO (Vastus Medialis Oblique). I get a bit of this too. There are plenty exercises you can do if you have the inclination but as with most biomechanical issues its is often related to imbalances/weaknesses elsewhere in the musculature. Have a look at this link
    http://www.theinjuredknee.com/knee-injury-rehabilitation/cure-knee-pain-in-less-than-1-week-part-4-of-4/