What needed to go from 185 to 160mm rear rotor

symanoy
symanoy Posts: 123
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So my Trance came with 185mm rotors at either end. I managed to bend the rear slightly today, though tbh I was planning and downsizing anyway as its just too big, just makes it too easy to lock up the rear wheel which is never good!

I've managed to source the rotor at a good price but unsure what else I need. Frame and brakes are post mount,so I'm assuming brake straight on to frame is right for 160mm but I may be wrong, If so I need some shorter bolts, where do I get these from?

Cheers
Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
replaced with Giant Trance MKII

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just bolt it one. a bolt shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • symanoy
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75480 this looks like it should do the trick!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you have AVID brakes?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • symanoy
    yep elixir 5s
  • symanoy
    I ordered the CPS kit as above, the 160mm PM rear version. Says this on the invoice and also the packaging. Yet it came with some additional spacers like these, http://www.bicyclehero.com/us/avid-cps- ... lized.html which I really wasn't expecting! they seems to be the same thickness of the 185mm adaptor I already have!?

You can't use it without them as they have the concave surface in one side to use with the mount system. Also if I were to removed them the bolt would be too long.

What's gone wrong?
  • symanoy
    Ultimately what I'm asking is, has CRC sent me the wrong kit? Do I have a 185mm kit? Or do Avid work on the assumption that all bikes are default 140mm rear rotor, so i have a kit convert 140mm to 160mm?
  • The Rookie
    If it won't fit for you, just send it back, use your CPS washers and get some suitable length bolts from a bolt shop/ebay
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • symanoy
    Do you know the correct bolt size?
  • The Rookie
    M5x whatever length you need (measure it!) but logically whatever held your caliper to 185mount will now hold it to the frame anyway, or if they used one of those bolt through mounts, just hacksaw the bolt to length (fit a nut first so you can remove it to clean up the threads!)