Best Brake pads for HplusSon Archetype Black wheels

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
So thanks to Ugo. I am now running on some new HplusSon Archetype wheels. Loving them.

The only issue I have is with the braking - I find the brakes a little grabby and uneven. I am using the Swisstop Green pads. Is a case of just letting them settle in (though never really had this issue before) or what have people found to be the best pads to use on this wheel?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I think it's more a problem of pads being properly aligned, caliper being perfectly centred etc... normally these rims have excellent braking.
    The green might be a bit soft for a hardened alloy, leading to fast wear.
    left the forum March 2023
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I'll check them again tonight - I did line them up well, I thought. Not too worried about wear - may look less sexy but at least it shows I ride my bike :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Personally I like brakes to be grabby, in fact I insist on it. Non grabby brakes are ....well, broken :-)

Rearding uneven is it where the join in the rim is? This settles down in time after a bit of wear
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    I use Swisstop blacks on mine and have never had any issues.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I'm using greens on mine and a little bit underwhelmed, but I presume it will improve once the coating wears properly.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Looks like it's the green ones then... everybody else is happy about the braking... I think the green are designed for carbon and soft surfaces, just the opposite of what an anodised surface is.

To be honest, when you stick to standard factory pads, you can't do no wrong. I recently replaced a set of Campagnolo pads with some Kool stop and they were just embarrassing... the squeeking was beyond tolerable, even after several hundred miles no sign of it disappearing... I just binned them and went back to Campagnolo
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Yeah, they're not grabby or uneven for me, just don't seem that effective even being on 7800 brakes. They're good enough to be safe though, as its very progressive so nothing I can't live with.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got Swissstop greens with my black Archetypes and Swissstop blues with my silver ones. Can't really notice the difference. Not grabby in anyway.

I'd actually struggle to find the join on my Archetypes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Looks like it's the green ones then... everybody else is happy about the braking... I think the green are designed for carbon and soft surfaces, just the opposite of what an anodised surface is.

To be honest, when you stick to standard factory pads, you can't do no wrong. I recently replaced a set of Campagnolo pads with some Kool stop and they were just embarrassing... the squeeking was beyond tolerable, even after several hundred miles no sign of it disappearing... I just binned them and went back to Campagnolo

The green pads are designed for alloy surfaces not for carbon. The green pads also come as standard in SRAM Red brakes and the black pads come as standard on the Rival and Force brakesets.

I also been using Kool Stop dual compound pads on my commuting bike for over 5 years and they have been great.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ugo.santalucia
    gabriel959 wrote:

The green pads are designed for alloy surfaces not for carbon. The green pads also come as standard in SRAM Red brakes and the black pads come as standard on the Rival and Force brakesets.

I also been using Kool Stop dual compound pads on my commuting bike for over 5 years and they have been great.

Then it's the yellow for carbon and green for alloy... always confuse those colours...

I had some black kool stop... braking was good, sqeeking was unbearable