Maxxis High Roller 2 question

dodgyknees
dodgyknees Posts: 148
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Seeking some feedback on the eternal "what tyre" question.

I normally run Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (2.1) front and back and must say I find them good in all conditions, from local woods to rocky trail centres. However I've been thinking lately of experimenting a bit and trying something a bit bigger on the front.

Was therefore thinking of getting a High Roller 2 60a EXO but these seem to all be 2.4 and are often referred to as downhill tyres (920g), so maybe a bit overkill. Anybody run these as a trail bike tyre?

I'm really just looking for a tyre with a bit more volume and grip than the Panaracer so that I can hopefully up my speed a bit on cornering & descents, but not have to haul a huge downhill tyre up the climbs.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I went from XC Pros to Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and a Racing Ralph on the rear. I use 2.4 but come in smaller sizes as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only get the NN in a star compound, the base version isn't anywhere near as good!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    have a look at the continental rubber queens as well. the 2.2 comes up big and is around 650 grm iirc and the 2.4 is absolutely masive and around 800 grm.

only look at the black chilli compund ones though as the basics copound is terrible. not the cheapest, but if you shop around you can usually find a deal (bikediscount.de is normal good)

re the nobby nicks, they're lighter and roll quicker, however i found the wore a lot quicker and even on the better compounds i found them leathel on wet / damp rock (excellent on more mixed terrain tough)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Only get the NN in a star compound, the base version isn't anywhere near as good!

If your talking the 'performance' compoundm, it's a decent enough trail centre tyre for the money (ive seen them for just over a tenner), rubbish on natural trails though.

I never really got on with HR's, I felt like there was too much of a pronounced 'gap' between the centre compound and the side lugs so got a feeling of a temporary lack of grip when heeling the bike over...if that makes sense.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • dodgyknees

If your talking the 'performance' compoundm, it's a decent enough trail centre tyre for the money (ive seen them for just over a tenner), rubbish on natural trails though.

I never really got on with HR's, I felt like there was too much of a pronounced 'gap' between the centre compound and the side lugs so got a feeling of a temporary lack of grip when heeling the bike over...if that makes sense.

I've read that about the 'old' HR's but the High Roller 2 is supposed to have addressed that issue with an improved tread pattern. However the HR2 seems to be always described as though it's a downhill tyre which makes me think it may not be good as a trail tyre.
  • dodgyknees
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    have a look at the continental rubber queens as well. the 2.2 comes up big and is around 650 grm iirc and the 2.4 is absolutely masive and around 800 grm.

only look at the black chilli compund ones though as the basics copound is terrible. not the cheapest, but if you shop around you can usually find a deal (bikediscount.de is normal good)

re the nobby nicks, they're lighter and roll quicker, however i found the wore a lot quicker and even on the better compounds i found them leathel on wet / damp rock (excellent on more mixed terrain tough)

Yes, I was looking at the Continental Rubber Queen Black Chili which also gets good reviews. I was looking at the 2.4 as I like the idea of a big tyre up front for better grip and cornering, bearing in mind that I've never run anything bigger than 2.1 so far though. But if the 2.2 comes up big that may be enough.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    dodgyknees wrote:
    sofaboy73 wrote:

Yes, I was looking at the Continental Rubber Queen Black Chili which also gets good reviews. I was looking at the 2.4 as I like the idea of a big tyre up front for better grip and cornering, bearing in mind that I've never run anything bigger than 2.1 so far though. But if the 2.2 comes up big that may be enough.

the 2.2 do come up big and are as wide / wider than say a maxxis 2.35. where the 2.4 is expecially big is in it's height, it's effectively a massive donut on your front wheel so you might want to check your forks for clearence. i don't notice the extra weight on the front and run a 2.2 on the back. an extra bonus of the 2.4 is that it has reinforced side walls meaning you can run it at very low pressure for extra grip (run mine down to 18 psi with no probs on fairly light tubes)
  • flatpat
    flatpat Posts: 78
    I've run a MK1 High Roller 2.35 single ply on the front on an XC/trail bike for a few years now. It's replacement will be more like a Purgatory 2.3, Advantage 2.1 or Ardent 2.25, as although I'm happy with the grip, I'd prefer something a touch faster for the kind of riding I do. It's all a compromise I guess - bought the HR when I had a confidence crisis but, having ridden on Crossmark 2.1s and Rocket Ron 2.25s recently, it's amazing how much fun low rolling resistance is*.

Cost is also a factor - Maxxis, black chilli Contis and Hans Dampfs all seem incredibly expensive.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried an On One Smorgasboard up front in a "skill-free-trail-rider" setting? (most of the review I've read seem to be by gnar downhillers who prefer 2.5" Minions)

*until you hit the wet roots
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    flatpat wrote:
    Speaking of which, has anyone tried an On One Smorgasboard up front in a "skill-free-trail-rider" setting?

Not yet, but I think I may do soon.