Wrecked Dirt Jumper 3...suitable replacement?

gravelrash6
gravelrash6 Posts: 15
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys n girls...just after your opinion on this.

I finally wrecked my Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 forks (2005)! Doing nothing mental on them but noticed that the wheel was running a little weird. On closer inspection the tiny part of the fork lower that holds on those horrible silver QR20 clamps has snapped off on one side. Just glad I found it before planting my face into the tarmac...

So figure my options are:

1) Get someone in the know to weld it up if possible.

2) Get a replacement fork.

I'm inclined to get a new one as I've never trusted those daft clamps. Looking at a beefy fork that accepts a 20mm bolt thru axle (for my Halo Freedom rims) and will have to be secondhand as budget is low.

Has anyone got any recommendations? So far been looking at DJ's 1, 2, 3 and 4 (do any have a proper 20mm bolt thru clamp?), the Marz 55 and the 66 (maybe a bit TOO beefy). Not familiar with any other manufacturers equivalents but be interested to hear...

Your thoughts and opinions would be very helpful (getting super-sick of using public transport!)

Cheers, Paul.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    welding no.

new lowers or a new fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yup bin them

I crashed a set of DJ1's, the fork looked OK, but considering I cracked the frame and shattered a hope pro 2 front hub on impact they were not going to be used again......

I chose society xeno forks for several reasons:

36mm stanchions are very stiff
    home service (very easy)
    and if anything goes wrong parts are straight out of the RST catalogue....

and at £180 or so they are cheap enough not to care about and still work 3 years later

hopefully I won't slam like that again ..........
  • gravelrash6
    gravelrash6 Posts: 15
    The Society's look cool...any other 20mm bolt thru's anyone can recommend?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    old pikes?