Why are some freewheels really noisy?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Ok, so on my bike when I'm not pedalling, the clicking from the freewheel is very faint. Not quite silent, but very quiet. If I spin the back wheel, it makes a soft tick-tick-tick.

Whereas often guys come past me on descents, and their freewheels are clackety-clacking like a blooming football rattle.

Why the difference?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    differences in design/materials, heavy/new lubrication also reduces noise

tbh i prefer noisy, lets other people know you're there
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    As above, or it could be someone who has degreased the pawls in the freewheel as this makes them louder. This also reduces their life though.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Amount of pawls also makes a difference! for those of you who ride chris king or Kappius components know what I mean. Freewheel engagement is a peculiar thing. Personally the worst sounding freewheel for me is those from Sun Ringle. They're noisy but somehow sound like cheap wind up dinky toy whereas King's sound like a swarm of angry bees. I don't know what i'd rather have chasing me though!

C
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My Fulcrum Zero's are very clicky. I feel like I am annoying riders nearby :oops:

My R-SYS used to be sort of medium but after a visit to the LBS they are virtually quite. Not sure what they could have done apart from grease them.

Funny thing is I no longer know which I like best. The Zero's are the faster wheel (IMO) so I guess I like the clicky best.
    They kind of encourage you to keep peddling too :wink:
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    In Shimano hubs, the pawls are totally enclosed within the freehub so they are quite small.
    In Campagnolo, Hope and some others, the pawls are held within the freehub but engage the metal of the hub. These tend to be bigger, louder and more durable.
    The other type is a star ratchet used in DT Swiss, which is very reliable and quick to engage but makes a high pitched whine.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Does it go that noisy freehub = better quality hub then? My Shimano Rs10's are near silent and some of the bikes on the club run I joined last weekend sounded like machine guns!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Canny lad wrote:
    Does it go that noisy freehub = better quality hub then? My Shimano Rs10's are near silent and some of the bikes on the club run I joined last weekend sounded like machine guns!

short answer no.

long answer not really.
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    What wheels for around £300 mark are good, and make a nice noise then?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I also think that the build-up of the wheel seems to amplify the freehub. Higher tension bladed spokes seem to make the freehub sound louder than the same hub on something with lower tension and more conventional spokes.

No science was used in this observation - it is purely that, an observation!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

I would suggest that you get off on the right foot and don't buy a wheel because it makes a "nice" noise(whatever that is). Since this is the beginners column I'm going to suggest that you buy a good sturdy set of wheels that you can "RIDE" and not have to worry about. i.e. aluminum rims, 32 spokes, Ultegra or better hubs, that sort of thing.
    Something you can depend on, instead of low spoke count this and deep dish carbon that. If you start racing then yes, fancy wheels may help.
    Nobody cares what noise your hubs make(it's not a status symbol or anything like that).
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My Campagnolo Record hubs makes a lovely loud noise :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    dennisn wrote:

I would suggest that you get off on the right foot and don't buy a wheel because it makes a "nice" noise(whatever that is). Since this is the beginners column I'm going to suggest that you buy a good sturdy set of wheels that you can "RIDE" and not have to worry about. i.e. aluminum rims, 32 spokes, Ultegra or better hubs, that sort of thing.
    Something you can depend on, instead of low spoke count this and deep dish carbon that. If you start racing then yes, fancy wheels may help.
    Nobody cares what noise your hubs make(it's not a status symbol or anything like that).

I've had a look at some fulcrum quatro's and they seem to fit the bill!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221

Something with Hope Pro III hubs - great hubs, bomb proof and loud. Maybe a custom wheelset?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    It's coz they're pros init?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875