I-Spec question

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi can someone confirm these will fit XTR shifter pods? They look identical basically but want to be sure.

Also, would these then just attach to XT M785 brakes?

I don't have any experience with I-Spec.

Cheers
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• Coxy_UK
    Think I jumped the gun again as I may have answered my own question ...

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/shimano-xt-m7 ... overs-pair

But if anyone knows better or different please let me know :)
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
  • Coxy_UK
    Talking to myself again... from that site it appears XT brakes will only go with XT brakes, and XTR with XTR. Is this the case?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ispec works with ispec it is pretty simple, mix and Mach to your hearts content as long at they are ispec.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    ^ This. All I spec from deore through to XTR is compatible with each other.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Sorry to highjack this but my question is i spec related.

I was wondering if using I spec shifter pods, whether they would attach as securely as the conventional bar mounted version, i.e. be no flex when pushing the gear levers.

Also, how much scope is there for position adjustment? It looks like you'll have slight sideways adjustment but you're stuck with the vertical adjustment being the same as the brake lever. May not be an issue but have never seen one I was just wondering as I am about to buy a set of shifters and was considering the I spec over the normal bar mount versions.

Is there any downside to the i spec version?
  • benpinnick
    I run Ispecs and love them. Wouldnt go back. They just clean up the bar nicely. Downside is as you say is the amount of vertical adjustment, there is some as they mount in a slot in the lever, not a single place, but its small by comparison to separate shifters, but enough in my opinion. They do have better horizontal adjustment than standard in terms of getting them just right when you run them close to the brakes (as most do). The irony of it being that as shimano has such short brake levers this isnt as useful as it sounds, as its unlikely you'd need all the horizontal adjustment that you'd want with longer brakes pushing everything inboard. Flex is not noticeable, although it is little more flexy. You have to watch for them coming loose too, as they seem more prone to doing that, but its not an every ride thing, just check once in a while.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hard-rider
    Thanks ben that was useful.
    I tend to have my gear shifters inboard quite a bit to stop the shift levers rubbing my thumbs when gripping the bars. If you're saying that Shimano have short brake levers this would bring the shifters closer to my thumbs again or is there enough horizontal float to keep the shifter well inboard?

My current sutup is Avid Elixir 5 brakes with SLX shifters. The shifter's clamp is about 1cm inboard of the brake's clamp. Basically I like about 1.5cm between my thumb and the shift lever ends.
  • benpinnick
    Hmm, difficult to say without seeing them in front of me. There is over 1cm (probably about 15mm) of horizontal movement, but what that means in relation to a fixed set up I dont know.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hard-rider
    This is how what I have currently looks.
    1cdcdf79-1947-4bea-a665-6557a7f32792_zps8836cad3.jpg
  • benpinnick
    Put some pics up here (Couldnt be bothered to faff with BR embedding) https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2GWZuqDuP9YW

Pic 1 - All the way outboard (to the right)
    Pic 2 - all the way inboard
    Pic 3 - all the way inboard with 1.5cm gap
    pic 4 - how I have them.

Hard to be precise... but my guess is you'd be fine.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hard-rider
    Thanks ben. From those photos it looks as though it should be fine.