clinchers tubular normal? what is the difference

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
As title, not planning on changing rims or anything more intrigued as to differences and therefore advantages if they exist.

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    edited May 2013
    Tubular - Inner tube in an outer tyre that’s sewn up and a base tape is glued on. This tubular is then glued or taped to a tubular specific wheel rim. A tubular tyre with a latex inner tube gives one of the finest rides you can get.

Open Tubular - Some manufacturers like Challenge, Vittoria and Veloflex make Open Tubular tyres which are essentially the outer casing of the tubular that’s not been sewn together. It has clincher beads and you stick a normal inner tube in them (preferably latex for the tubular feel). These come very close to tubulars and some say they are just as good. You can only use these on clincher rims. They’re basically top-end clinchers.

Tubular Clincher – Tufo make these. They’re totally enclosed tubular tyres that you can stick on a clincher rim. Downside is that you need sealant to fix them if they puncture and if the cut is too big they’re fuxked.

Clincher – The standard tyre for clincher rims. They either come wire beaded or folding. The latter is better IMO. They come in varying prices and quality from cheap Chinese skid specials that will cut on a leaf, or good quality like the GP4000s.

Tubeless – Mostly used on MTB’s but some manufacturers make them for road bike wheels. You can ride them at a low pressure, they puncture less and this can be assisted by sealant.

[Edited]
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Well whats to add to that cracking summary above! :D

As said by thegreatdivide - open tubulars are lovely to ride on. I've got some Veloflex Corsa 23 open tubular tyres on a set of 1340g aluminium wheels (and latex tubes). Highly recommended from me - I may even buy another pair for my 2nd bike

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TBVFC23OT-700-BGU-23/veloflex_corsa_23_open_tubular_tyre___700c___black___23mm
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Cheers chief ;-)

I'll second those Velo Corsas btw. I've got Vittoria Open Corsas on the clincher bike at the moment but picked up a pair from Planet X for when they need retired. I've got Velo Masters on the Colnago and they're smoooooooth :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Great tyre guide (think you meant 'wheel' not 'tyre' in paragraph one though) :wink:

I was not really aware of open tubulars :oops:
    I love my tubulars (deep section for TT's) and have latex tubes in my clinchers. I was thinking of getting some tubular wheels for normal use but open tubulars sound worth a try first.

Whats the difference between a clincher and an open tubular? They sound the same thing :?
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    What is the benefit of these tufo clincher tubulars over normal clinchers?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mindermast wrote:

Higher tyre pressures and no pinch flats I think.
    Maybe they handle better if they flat too.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Its more down to the construction method used I believe (ie made just like a tubular but not sown together - they look pretty much identical to a clincher to me. They have a very high thread count and so feel very soft / supple - and this seems to aid grip and speed. The need higher pressures generally, but ride like you would expect them to at 20psi lower is how i'd describe it. Simply put - they might look like a clincher when you buy them - but they do ride nicer. The Veloflex Corsa's simply feel so secure in the corners - great for the confidence.
  • ashleydwsmith
    ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
    Wow, amazing thanks for that!
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Carbonator wrote:
    Mindermast wrote:

Higher tyre pressures and no pinch flats I think.
    Maybe they handle better if they flat too.

I suppose, they are not as safe as real tubulars, when flat?

Well, I got a pair by mistake, and I am going to try them as soon as my current clinchers are down.

According to many reports, good clinchers are better than cheap tubulars today. But tubulars have been reborn with carbon rims and cross bikers seem to like them anyway.