Cassette Upgrade

GRBarker
GRBarker Posts: 31
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Afternoon,

I’ve been having a look at cassettes with a view to upgrading my Shimano 2300 group set. I don’t have that much money to throw at it as I’m looking to improve my wheels as well.

Which of the following options do people think would be the best option?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himcass905

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himcass800

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himcass450

Also, my current set-up is an eight speed, would a nine speed cassette and chain be compatible with what I currently have?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    8 Speed 2300 shifters requires an 8 speed cassette. If you want to go 9 speed you'll have to upgrade your shifters, in which case you might as well go to 10 speed.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • GRBarker
    Thanks, that removes a couple of the options at least! I was sure that I'd heard somebody say that you could go one up but no more.
  • drlodge
    GRBarker wrote:
    Thanks, that removes a couple of the options at least! I was sure that I'd heard somebody say that you could go one up but no more.

No way - all the indexing is done in the levers. The rear derailleur is just spring loaded and moves according to the length of cable "issued" by the shifter. Hence if the shifter has 8 positions, you won't get a 9th AND the spacing between sprockets is different between 8 and 9 gear cassettes/shifters.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • GRBarker
    Ah, that makes sense. I wondered if it would just be the case that the ninth wasn't used but if the spacing is different then I suppose it isn't going to work.
  • drlodge
    Ah yes, that can sometimes work. For example I have a 7 speed cassette (spacing is 4.8mm) used with the 2300 8 speed shifters (spacing assumed to be 5mm) and it works fine. I have one "click" unused.
    Find me on Strava
  • GRBarker
    Is it safer just to forget the idea of getting a nine speed though? There doesn't seem to be a massive range of 8 speed Shimano cassettes and so the choice will be pretty straightforward!
  • drlodge
    If the 8 speed (HG-50?) cassette gives you what you need I'd go for it. Otherwise you're into upgrading shifters and cassette at least.
    Find me on Strava
  • GRBarker
    I can't really afford to do that at the moment so I'll just stick with the cassette. Could you give me some advice about what kind of ratio I should look for? What are the benefits of a higher/lower ratio?
  • drlodge
    There's not alot of options with that Sora cassette. I would gof or the 13-26 on the basis that you can never have a gear that is too low, but you can have a low gear that is too high! What's your current chainset/cassette and are those gears ok for the hills you ride?
    Find me on Strava
  • GRBarker
    I'm currently on a 12-25 which is fine for going up hills, I do use the lowest gear sometimes but I've never had any issues going uphill. Is it best to stick with the same or would a change be a good idea?
  • drlodge
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Or go with the 13-26 so you have a slightly lower gear in case you try a steeper climb in the future. Personally, I'd go for 13-26 on the basis I'm more likely to need the 26 (steeper uphill) than the 12.
    Find me on Strava
  • GRBarker
    Thanks for the that, a really useful post. I'm looking to change my cassette mainly due to general wear and tear. I currently have a 12-25 but as I'm changing it is it better to go for the 13-26 if I'm generally ok going uphill? I haven't tackled any truely difficult climbs yet so it is hard to say for sure that I'm ok on them!
  • GRBarker
    If I lose the 12 in favour of the 13 will that impact upon my flat/downhill speed?
  • drlodge
    May be, but at that that speed if you out pedal yourself, you can simply tuck in and freewheel, and you'll only be in that gear for a few seconds I would imagine. I've got 50x13 as the top gear on my winter bike, I hardly ever use it yet alone out pedal it.
    Find me on Strava
  • GRBarker
    My aim is to do more climbing in the future and so I guess it makes sense to go for the 13-26. Thanks for your help.
  • GRBarker
    Ah, that's great. I can be pretty sure that I don't have legs like Hoy and so I'll leave the 12-25 behind! Thanks for all your help, you've managed to resolve all my questions very quickly!