Expensive Gels, Bars, Sports Shots Etc..

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
So as my millage is increasing I'm starting to take a few jaffa cakes out with me to keep me fueled up etc..

Recently with a purchase of stuff from Wiggle I was sent the usual Haribo but due to the order being a big one I also got some other stuff thrown in, including some "PowerBar Energize Sport Shots" - Now my question is, along with my high5 tabs in one bottle with my other bottle just being water, do i need to/would i get any benefit from buying this what seems expensive energy food for longer rides, or would i notice no difference if i just stick with flapjacks, fig rolls, jaffa cakes etc?

Comments

• pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    try it and find out. I personally ride with energy drinks if I'm going anything over an hour, and back that up with a few gels for the instant kick. i struggle with taking solids on on a fast ride so gels are handy, whereas on a longer, more measured ride then flapjacks etc (and a lot of fluids) work.

solid stuff won't digest as quickly so won't hit your bloodstream quite as quick, but will conversely provide less of a spike and comedown as it's slower release.

So, determine what riding you're going to be doing (speed, distance, power etc), how instantaneous or simply accessible you want your nutrition to be, whether you can stomach solids when pushing the pace etc. Nutrition is a personal thing - so try it, if it doesn't work for you, try something else.
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    Eat real food. Gels and drinks made all my teeth fall out :oops: I even brush them and everything.

I use liquids gels a couple of times before to check stomach compatibility and on event day.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    There are lots and lots and lots of threads on BR about this topic, especially in the Training section. Use the search function and have a browse.

These topics will, without fail, descend into willy waving posts varying from I eat nothing on my 100 mile 23mph average rides to I eat a vegetarian beef olive every 20 minutes to folk who have High5 gels on a drip.

What you’re asking is entirely personal to how you ride and what you think is good for you.

FWIW I love those shots – empty the bag into a jersey pocket and munch away on long rides.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A cornish pasty fits nicely into a jersey pocket (traditional centre crimped, none of this johnny come lately side crimped nonsense.

make sure you put it in crimp outmost to maintain / enhance aerodynamics when on the drops.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Churchill123
    Got a sportive coming up in 3 weeks so i'll buy a few and see how they taste and if they agree with my stomach or not..
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Got a sportive coming up in 3 weeks so i'll buy a few and see how they taste and if they agree with my stomach or not..

try any new nutrition on a ride or two before the sportive if you can - otherwise it could be a very uncomfortable ride!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I keep getting boxes of them free on sportives and will use them, but I'm not going to go out and buy more. tbh on my last ride out I had energy bars and gels etc, what I really wanted was a cheese sandwich!
  • Churchill123
    I keep getting boxes of them free on sportives and will use them, but I'm not going to go out and buy more. tbh on my last ride out I had energy bars and gels etc, what I really wanted was a cheese sandwich!

With a bit of ham and salad cream too - Got me feeling hungry now!